Rotorua

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotorua
    Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 11:29am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi guys, I've got a family trip to Rotorua coming up. Wouldn't mind catching a trout, but I'll be limited to shore fishing, probably just with spinning/softbait gear. What are my chances of action? Any tips? Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 5:06pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would pop into local Hunting and fishing store and they would point you towards some productive spinning spots. I will probably be at Lake Rotoiti on Tuesday in my little Console jigging - i would ask you out but we only have limited time then off to kinloch for the night . Some good conditioned fish around alot of the Rotorua lakes . Im no spinning expert sorry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 5:07pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Redfinger!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 8:28pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You could try spinning from the Waiteti Stream mouth at Ngongotaha or the Hamurana Streammouth also. Apparently they can be pretty successful at times (YouTube should attest to this).
Also, I've had luck by chucking a softbait into the Blue Lake by wading from the beach at the other end of the lake opposite  the holiday park. That lake can get pretty busy though with water skiers etc, so I've only been there in winter when it's a bit quieter.

Redfinger's on the money though, the guys at Hunting and Fishing will probably be your best bet, or maybe even try a phone call to the local Fish and Game office for advice? Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 7:53am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

May be too late, but I'd recommend trying some 'heave and leave' using a spinning rod - basically softbait gear - off the shore of Tarawera or Okataina. Find a jetty and cast off it.
You attach a small ball sinker (e.g. 1/4 oz) to the end of your softbait 'leader', a small swivel, then 0.6-1m of8lb fluoro to a buoyant 'Booby' fly (sparkly olive is a good option, or white). You cast out as far as you can, let it sink with the bail arm open, click into gear and wait for a bite.
you can also use giant floating egg flies, but I preferred to use a slightly more natural imitation.

Most of the places where you're likely to find good fish in the Rotorua area, there are extensive weed beds along the shoreline, and I found it incredibly frustrating casting and retrieving lures. you just waste a lot of time snagging on the weed. The fish cruise, so better off leaving the fly stationary and waiting for them to find it in the zone.

Check the regs in terms of where you're allowed to spin fish. I think they've been relaxed in recent times to encourage new fishos, but there may still be some restricted areas - including some of the more popular rivers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 3:02pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks the replies. I will investigate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 4:46pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Small non scented paddletail plastic on a 1/20th jighead. Right in by ngongy town and you’ll be in the game just running it up through the deeper runs. Were plenty of fish there on Thursday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 6:17pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Downtown Downtown wrote:

Small non scented paddletail plastic on a 1/20th jighead. Right in by ngongy town and you’ll be in the game just running it up through the deeper runs. Were plenty of fish there on Thursday.

Thanks mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 11:11pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That worked out well given time constraints and family commitments, thanks for the advice. Got a nice rainbow and very close to getting an even nicer brown. Next time!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 8:28am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish MB - Gets fished often close to town there so well done