Unscented Zman (attention TTK!)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unscented Zman (attention TTK!)
    Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 11:36am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can we get unscented Zman 4 inch Curly TailZ here in NZ? I ordered some 5 inch from Aussie and they were unscented. I want unscented because I like to pre-rig my softies. TTK - thought you might know as you are the resident Zman rep! LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 2:53pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your wish is my command, MB,though i fear I will probably just confuse you, rather than help. I just wish the number of packets of Z Mans I have in my garage equated to getting 'rep' privileges. But as many of them didn't get to NZ via Ocean Angler (due to the money saved or the type not being available here), I'm probably on a black list.Tongue

the answer I think is 'no', but it's pretty confusing.

If you go to the US website for Z Man, you'll see there are three types of curly tail softies.
1. Streakz Curly Tailz (the range that the 5" ones come from)
2. Scented Curly Tailz (4")
3. Grubz (lots of different lengths including 4")
+ the Doormatadorz (scented).

OA's own website here lists the Mood Ring and a couple of others as being 'Streakz' (which would imply unscented), but if you go on the Smart Marine retail site here they say the Mood Rings are "scented". 
So either there are scented Streakz sold here but not in the US (ie different prods for diff markets) or there's some wrong labeling going on, on the websites in NZ.

so if you want to be certain, you either need to see the packet in person, check before you buy online here, or buy from Aussie!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 3:45pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the reply, it is confusing! Zman don't help themselves by having so many and confusingly named product lines. Knowing that StreakZ implies non-scented is helpful. Btw, the 5 inch curly tails pair beautifully with the Bleeder 5/0 jig heads. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 3:59pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try the bait Junkie they are unsented and they do curly tails

Kaveman also does a unsented curly tail. Good price too.

https://kavemantackle.co.nz/product-category/softbaits/

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 4:20pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hear you, MB. 
I think adding Zs everywhere is a bit cheesy, and even the TT Lures guys in Australia bought into that with the Zs on the Headlock product etc.

As KAndrew has suggested, you could also try the Daiwa Bait Junkie 4" grub. They are made of similar stretchy material. I've been impressed by the jerk shads, which have a wicked action on the retrieve, though they are slightly less durable than Z Man. They start to rip around the hook entry point after 4-5 fish. Again, I've brought in the colours I particularly liked from Australia - due to them not being available here.

That's good to know re those jigheads.
I love the 5" tails.

I've got a few packets of Doormatadorz for my Far North trip in May. Fingers crossed i can get out to the zones where I am keen to use them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 4:27pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The bait Junkie do have a great action but as you say they do rip.

I used to super the Zman on to the jig head before the light bulbs came out. Might be worth a try with the bait Junkie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 6:51pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Can we get unscented Zman 4 inch Curly TailZ here in NZ? I ordered some 5 inch from Aussie and they were unscented. I want unscented because I like to pre-rig my softies. TTK - thought you might know as you are the resident Zman rep! LOL
Why do you pre-rig?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 7:58pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Try the bait Junkie they are unsented and they do curly tails

Kaveman also does a unsented curly tail. Good price too.

https://kavemantackle.co.nz/product-category/softbaits/

Cheers

Cheers will have a look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 8:41pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why do you pre-rig?

Good question. I've been using the Bleeder jig heads. No drama, but a little fiddly to rig on a jetski at first light, so prefer to pre-rig. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 10:12pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Why do you pre-rig?

Good question. I've been using the Bleeder jig heads. No drama, but a little fiddly to rig on a jetski at first light, so prefer to pre-rig. 
Yes I remember you posting them, how have they been working for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 10:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes I remember you posting them, how have they been working for you.

Zman 5 inch Curly Tails and 5/0 Bleeder hooks are a perfect match. Very tidy and good fish catchers. That's all I've tried so far. Definitely want a soft bait with a split in it to work well with the Bleeders as it's a worm hook. Better than a traditional jig head? Probably not, but the aesthetics appeal to my OCD and certainly no worse. As far as Zman go, once rigged, they stay put until ripped off.

Haven't used the Bleeders with Secret Sauce which is one of their selling points. I'm a little skeptical of non-water soluble attractants. I'm thinking the 4 inch Curly Tails on the 3/0 hooks would be good too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 11:12am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, you're not going to believe this, wandered in to Humping & Fisting this morning and browsed the Zman range. They had StreakZ unscented Curly Tailz in a few different colours in 4 and 5 inch! I've been ordering stuff from Aussie that was in my local store Shocked