New to spin fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jade564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to spin fishing
    Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 8:55pm
jade564 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys. Very very new to freshwater fishing. I done abit of fly fishing when I was in school (10 years ago) but have not been since. Recently picked up a spin combo from hunting and fishing.
Just a few questions I have.
My local river is the hutt river (I’m in wellington) and can also fish the ruamahanga and manawatu river for a day trip when my partner allows!
What are the best lures to use in these areas and what strength line should I be using? (The guy at hunting and fishing sold me 9.7lbs but doing some research I feel like he has sold me too high a strength?)
Also, what is the best method for spin fishing? Cash upstream and immediately retrieve slightly faster than the current?
Any tips at all will be much appreciated as I have next to no knowledge but have done bits of research! Thanks in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 5:07pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi there,
I'm not a spinning expert but want to reply to refresh your question.
I'd highly recommend watching a couple of old Troutboynz videos on YouTube of spin fishing with small Rapala lures (look like tiny brown trout).
They did very well. As you say, cast at 3 o'clock, twitching/winding back across and down.
Mepps spinners are legendary, so probably also worth a go. Just don't get sold a lure that's meant for trolling, not casting.

I used to do very well using another spinning method - small ball sinker with a leader to a smelt style fly, in the Waikato region.
again, casting up and across, letting it drift and a quick retrieve at the end.
A silver Rabbit fly is deadly in that situation (I was fishing to trout that were zeroed in on smelt). But an Olive Woolly Bugger would also be a good choice. 

You'd just need to adapt the sinker weight to suit your local river. I used to use a quarter or half ounce ball sinker, and about 8lb fluorocarbon leader. But that was in heavy, rough water. In those days i used mono main line, but modern fishing is probably done with braid.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 11:43am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My outfit has 8 lb braid (Tasline) and a 6 or 8 lb fluorocarbon leader. One of my favourite lures is red or green veltic - the small one for small streams and the next size up for bigger water. Also, I change the treble an use a small streamer fly instead with the colour to match the blade.

Cast to 10 o'clock and wind with enough speed to give the lure some action and as the lure goes past you down stream, slow down your wind. Sometimes you'll get a take just as the lure is right at the edge - watch carefully with polarised glasses as you often get a take as the lure turn at the end of a drift (happens with fly fishing, too. I once took a guy out for his first fishing trip and demonstrated a cast and told him to watch for a take and the end, then blow me down, I'd lifted the veltic out of the water and it was a few inches out of the water when a trout jumped out of the water and ate it. That has happed on another occasions so just beware!! Look for the bubble line as that's the channel where food drifts and trout lurk.

As mentioned, bibbed minnows work well. I have both floating and sinking. The floating is good foe weedy water. A few months back I was in Rarotonga fishing in the lagoon for bluefin trevally and the floating ones were good to avoid the coral. I'd watch for bow waves then wade to casting distance and cast 20 metres ahead of them and they'd take off like a F1 car and hit the lure. You can change the trebles for eye in-line hooks. Even flattened barbed trebles are difficult to remove with forceps.
My family has moved to Wellington and I must go visiting for some extra days to fish the Hutt, Otaki & Wainui rivers.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken