Cleaning out the garage

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning out the garage
    Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 6:54pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I found this in my Dad's garage, it's a tough job clearing it out even though he's been gone 2 years. Does anyone want this?
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 7:12pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

I found this in my Dad's garage, it's a tough job clearing it out even though he's been gone 2 years. Does anyone want this?
I just sent you a PM mate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 7:13pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Know how you feel mate.
Worst job in the world. And some stuff..............well, you just hang on to.
I could show you a small collection. His binoculars from his yacht, nameplate from the boat etc.
Doesn't mean anything to anyone else, but can't throw them out. Believe it or not I have a piece of the mainsheet cord.Most would not even know what it is. Oh, and the boat compass.
Good luck. Thats a tough one.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 7:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a lovely old reel Tonto. Hope it goes to a good home
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 8:14am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

it's a tough job clearing it out even though he's been gone 2 years. 

Feel your pain. I inherited a workshop full of tools including an old electric drill that no-one in their right mind would dare plug in today.

I steeled myself and threw it in the bin and walked past it for 2 days before pulling it out. Cut the lead off it and it's now an ornament... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 9:18am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

Feel your pain. I inherited a workshop full of tools including an old electric drill that no-one in their right mind would dare plug in today.

I steeled myself and threw it in the bin and walked past it for 2 days before pulling it out. Cut the lead off it and it's now an ornament... 

I can relate to that, I've got my dads old hand drill on a shelf in the house.  It's a military issue one he had in his tool kit in the fleet air arm during WW2 and was always in his tool bag that was used for household jobs.  In fact it was still in his tool bag, which was laying in the kitchen, when I picked it up after he died.

When I brought it back to NZ and came through security the guy on the bag scanner was a little surprised to see an old drill show up on the x-ray. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 6:45pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the messages of support guys, its been a prick of a week for me all round, nice to hear I am not the only who misses their Dad Smile. Have some amazing memories though.
Thanks Dad
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 7:20pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We are lucky to have Dads (and Mums) we have such memories of. Count it as a blessing rather than a sad memory.
So many kids these days just don't have those things. We have brought a grandchild up for the last 17 yrs. And still dealing with the issues.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:21pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the rod and reel Marty, I’ve cleaned it up and added it to my collection.

It’s a steelite made in Sydney in 1931.

There’s some good buggers on this site and your one of them.

Cheers Kerry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:35pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great result.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

All the best Martyn, you're a good bloke and I'm sure your dad was too. That's something special Kandrew
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:35pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Certainly is and very much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:47pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wooo thats Spooky Kerry, my Mum and Dad (both deceased) were born 2 days apart...... in 1931!

Guys that was a moment of pleasure for me in a week that has been quite devestating personally. really pleased it is with someone who can get some pleasure out of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well past time for a catch up Martyn.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:19pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Indeed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 8:30am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Indeed

Nice to see a happy ending for all & be assured it could not be in more caring or deserving new home.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fred01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 4:17pm
fred01 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You are right Alan. My father's Binoculars with collapsing cups work well with glasses for me (here you can read more about it) My Swaros and Leicas are fine, as are an ancient pair of Bausch & Lombs. As per the smudges... I clean the eyecups with eyeglass cleaner wipes or some rubbing alcohol to remove the oils from previous use. I didn't use them or didn't let others put them directly to their face without glasses . As per progressive lenses...I use them around the house and shop, but hate them for hunting, skiing, hiking, shooting my bow and glassing. I wear glasses with distance correction only (mono-vision) for all those activities!