I think I've fallen in love... tell me I'm stupid

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I think I've fallen in love... tell me I'm stupid
    Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 4:38pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

she's a beauty https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/3442729996
after hanging out on my mates floating caravan with our two family's over the break
I've never had a bigger boat and certainly never one untrailerable...
what am I in for? etc all advice welcome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 5:12pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

caveat I haven't bought it but god I'm tempted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 5:29pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

absolute stunner!! Look at those lines ! Just oozes history and class. 

Years ago when rough old wooden launches were going for $5k a group of mates thought a good idea to by one each and go cruising and rafting up at night. Slowly the power of the other halfs diluted the desire….sigh would have been fun.

Mate you only live once. I’d install a pin auto pilot as they aren’t quick and just hang out up front or troll lures everywhere you go. Imagine waking up in some secluded bay surrounded bush on that beauty. Your lawns will get long though….
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:53pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where would you base it Terry. Obvious Pros and cons compared to your 4200 you've got now. Can't be taking a launch all over the north island, but I can also see the appeal.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:45pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Years ago when rough old wooden launches were going for $5k a group of mates thought a good idea to by one each and go cruising and rafting up at night. Slowly the power of the other halfs diluted the desire….sigh would have been fun.

Mate you only live once. I’d install a pin auto pilot as they aren’t quick and just hang out up front or troll lures everywhere you go. Imagine waking up in some secluded bay surrounded bush on that beauty. Your lawns will get long though….
perfect piece of analysis above, when I bought obsession (a new stabicraft back in the day with one of the first four stroke outboards) could for 12k more bought the winsome 11 a lovely old famous game launch (was advertised for $34k back then in nz fishing news from memory)… I might have turned out a completely different person had I done that. I could been much more a classy person with a nice boat you can sleep on and still caught a few fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 3:53am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

perfect piece of analysis above, when I bought obsession (a new stabicraft back in the day with one of the first four stroke outboards) could for 12k more bought the winsome 11 a lovely old famous game launch (was advertised for $34k back then in nz fishing news from memory)… I might have turned out a completely different person had I done that. I could been much more a classy person with a nice boat you can sleep on and still caught a few fish.
Dad was an acquaintance of Andrew Donovan in the 70/80s when Andrew owned "Winsome II" she was powered by 2 chevs petrol from memory and top speed was never revealed but beleved close to 30+ knts,as a boy I was intrigued by the loo,waterless,when the vessel rocked somehow the head would self flush. Many a story around about Andrew and his exploits. 
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 6:51am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

you guys are supposed to be scaring me off ha!..... @kitno I'd have to berth her, looked at pine harbor and at 619 a month it's a hard no... looking in to swing moorings around Whitford, clevedon atm.
will have to go to the finance minister with a plan and cost breakdown first ha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 8:19am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I grew up with a 28' kauri launch in the family with Dad owning her from '75 through to late 90's. Had some great times and learnt a lot so am very grateful she was there - his ownership even survived a divorce and remarriage! 

A couple of points:

1) Older boats like this are a maintenance pit. If you don't enjoy DIY as much as boating, I'd suggest you drop the idea now. Our launch was on the hard at Okahu Bay for 8 weeks every year around August to be ready for Labour Weekend. Dad & I were there every weekend. She wouldn't be left on the mooring without being checked at least fortnightly.
2) That said opportunities to DIY are getting rarer. Seems like things (environmental rules, health and safety etc) have moved towards being forced to use professionals more frequently. Have a look at where you can haul it out and what you're allowed to do there. I'm betting Panmure Boating Club might be your friend. 
3) Fuel will be the cheapest bill - you'll probably spend more on paint alone.
4) It's unlikely to be much of an investment. I think the demand for low maintenance and speed will only grow.

Like I say I've got some good memories and stories. Furthermore, when I see our old girl still on the water providing the same opportunities for her new family, I feel a sense of pride that my late father's dedication as her custodian for so long was key to making this happen.

Good luck! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 8:22am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That is a stunner and a well known boat.
I keep dreaming and spent a few days over Xmas on the brothers launch, great.  
But it's the cost of parking it that puts me off especially with all that's happening round marina's turning them into housing complex's making them more expensive.

The family own the original "Winsome"and also had acquaintances with the legendary A Donovan and your right Pcj some good stories.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 10:12am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cheers for that, food for thought ay!
I'm a builder and an ex painter and have access to trade in the marine industry
and tradie mates.

I've been looking for a piece of dirt for a while around the 100k mark for a shack and a deck that we can start making memories with our two little ones but it's proving near impossible so I figure floating Bach might be the next best thing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 10:23am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

because threads are nothing without pictures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 11:11am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

summer in a nutshell right there! Your kids are at a great age for memory building and learning new skills! 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 7:21am
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Beautiful boat!

You only live once, I say go for it!!
"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales