Where to paddle

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to paddle
    Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 11:08am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fish 4T Fish 4T wrote:

Does anybody know where I can drop off kayaks at Puhoi river?
Plan to paddle downstream with my 10yo and get Mrs to pick us up at Wenderholm jetty.
There was a little platform at Puhoi outlook (Domain Rd) but looks impossible to launch yesterday at low tide.
Is there anything that I should be aware of or watch out for in that area?

if you know another spot where I can take my 10yo, I would appreciate the info. cheers

Mat well be the same location you refer to Boby but several years ago took my nephew on the commercially operated trip down the Puhoi & seem to remember launching somewhere fairly near to thr pub ... but of course on the other side of the road. Not at all sure about this but might also be a launch possie adjacent to the nearby reserve or mini showgrounds, am certain a phone call to the pub would confirm if a public launch site exists.

Well worth the trouble if you can find somewhere ... must confess
when we took our nephew I was guilty of thinking "this is going to be a rather twee experience" only to find it was quite an enjoyable experience.

Might be advisable to check on the tides on the day as once out of the river & into the estuary area can risk going up several blind alleys to reach the pullout point ... however kayaks no doubt much less suseptible than boats that many can not get or out over the entrance at certain times of the tide.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:43am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi, best bet is to launch at the top of the tide, that way you have an easy launch off the grass next to the jetty on the pub side, and an easier retrieval at Wenderholm. You also get the benefit of current-assisted paddling.

It is a fun paddle.

Another option if the estuary is too rough, is retrieve the kayak at the jetty next to the old toll payment area which is just inside the river part of the journey. That is what I did last time as there was about 20 knots of westerly which wouldn't have been fun to paddle against in a large rudderless tandem kayak with a kid "helping".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 12:17pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/what-type-of-person-would-get-satisfaction-from-it_topic136419.html

Hey Boby ... did not occur to me at the time but the above could be worth considering as has several advantages namely :-

Is only 10 or 15 mins from your house.

Offers a number of options as to where to put in or retrieve.

Navigates territory familiar to you such as .... passes by the end of Snapper Rock Rd, Manuka Rd. Greenhithe Pare etc.

There are a couple of downsides namely ramp can be muddy & slippery at low tide but should not be a problem for a Kayak but may have to work in with the tides depending where you are. I have done it in a 10 ft parker craft with a small o/b.

If you wanted to fish could direct you to a spot almost guaranteed to score 2 or 3 snapper at this time of year up until mid Feb/Mar

If of interested let me know & I can run thru some of your options ... the very least I could given your generosity over the years.  
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!