today

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: today
    Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 12:45pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not a lot of fish, but I am stoked with the JD. Fished same spot I took son and another guy to a few days ago - they got 6-8 pannie snaps and were happy. We don't usually catch many snaps - but the last 2-3 yrs has seem them start to turn up.
Today I never got a single one. But JDs are even more rare here - I catch one every 2-3 yrs and you only hear of 1-2 per yr. Not sure why - fishing over a reef.
I had a small reef fish out as a livie for a big snap, and the JD ignored that and took my bait. After catching that I tried some jigs , but no luck.  Soft baits would have got nailed by small cod so didn't bother.
So a treat of JD tonight - not quite Shanegs mahi - but it will be a close 2nd. Still looking for the log he found them on.
A query on JD - I left the skin on the fillets - just seemed like right thing to do. You can cook with skin on? And eat the skin too?
The fishing has been very slow here - guys have put in 6-8 hr days and not a bite. I did 2-3 hrs with two other guys about a week ago - one bite = 1 gurnard. Hard to split those fillets so we put it in the cray pot.
Alan

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 1:52pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Skin-on JD fillets are good, better than skin-off in fact. Cook in hot pan, skin side down. Nice and crispy. Yum!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 2:28pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Perfect - thanks.
Eat the skin?
I have seen reports of you guys nailing JDs- usually on soft baits I think.
Seems a struggle here. But a nice white wine and JD fillets look perfect to me.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 2:52pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, eat the skin. I get them as by-catch when softbaiting or jigging for snapper, but not consistently unfortunately. When targeting them specifically, I use small livies fished close to the bottom in reefy areas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 3:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Yes, eat the skin. I get them as by-catch when softbaiting or jigging for snapper, but not consistently unfortunately. When targeting them specifically, I use small livies fished close to the bottom in reefy areas.

Thats exactly what I did - but it didn't work for me, and generally doesn't - as far as JDs go.
Maybe we just don't have too many.
Tonites dinner is gonna be good.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 3:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Alan on the crays and JD. Makings of some real nice dinners there.
Love John Dory with skin on fried in butter.
Like you lucky to get couple of JDs  a year and usually fluke them on bait or softbait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 3:08pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice JD Alan, anywhere near Mark A? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 4:14pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Nice JD Alan, anywhere near Mark A? 
North of beach about 7 k. 30m deep on the edge of reef.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 4:16pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Well done Alan on the crays and JD. Makings of some real nice dinners there.
Love John Dory with skin on fried in butter.
Like you lucky to get couple of JDs  a year and usually fluke them on bait or softbait.

I am looking foward to dinner tonight.
Still looking for your mahi log tho.
Off for paua dive shortly. Tide/sea perfect, and cutting up tomorrow - again.
Have to make the most of it.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 10:47pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great looking platter of sea food there.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 6:31am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Added some paua to the menu last night. Off for another crack now.
Those JD fillets were primo - cooked as instructed.
Could do with more of those.
Alan
Legasea Legend member