Shimano Backbone vs Okuma Azores

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mackjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shimano Backbone vs Okuma Azores
    Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 3:43pm
mackjack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello, I am after a topwater rod that I can use for off the rocks as well as casting stickbaits from the land or on the boat. I am using PE 8 and I have found 2 topwater rods that are within my budget. If you could please LMK what you think would work best that would be awesome!

Okuma Azores Stickbait/Popper Casting Rod - 2pc 7'9 H - PE6-8 Cast 60-190g

or

Shimano Backbone Elite PE5-8 8'2 Topwater
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 4:39pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go handle the rods, preferably with your choice of reel attached and you will have your answer. I'm sure both are good rods, but everyone's taste is slightly different. Fishing rods are the only thing I don't order online for this reason. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 4:52pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Go handle the rods, preferably with your choice of reel attached and you will have your answer. I'm sure both are good rods, but everyone's taste is slightly different. Fishing rods are the only thing I don't order online for this reason. 

Great advice.

FWIW - I don't have either rod but I tried them both in the shop a while back and found the Shimano quite stiff at the tip - great for poppers but perhaps less effective for stick baits. A mate has the Azores and that seems to be a little more supple in the tip. But check it out yourself as it needs to feel good in the hands and balanced with your reel.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mackjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 5:58pm
mackjack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks very much for the advice people! Will go have a look at them and see how they feel with the reel on.