Surf Rod Blanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surf Rod Blanks
    Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 11:19am
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just sorting some new surf rod blanks for fishing open beaches and med rough ground .....

14 foot 2 piece 4-6 oz cast weight
14 foot 3 piece 4-6 oz cast weight

Question when looking for surf rod blanks  what do you guys look for?

(A) Price
 (B) Weight ( blank)
 (C) Action ( Fast/Med/Slow)
 (D) Power  
 (E) Construction (Materials used to build blank)
 (F) Cast Weight /line rating

any other info would be great, 

trying to source Torzite T2  guides abit hard  at the moment but BRC rods do have stock just expensive

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

Surly someone has some ideas on rods/blanks for surf casting.

I know of a few Tronix (Cobra)blanks arriving in NZ for a builder, also some of the new Tuna rods/blanks from Argentina(ex Singapore) are on there way here( very expensive)..
Not many blank suppliers down under these days (NZ/Aus) so most people go over seas, such a shame really as we have some great companies that can design and build blanks/rods for surfcasting but the market is just to small- thats enough of that rant. 
I shall be ordering more blanks myself for surfcasting the mid to lower north island 

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 3:11pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm out of touch with pros and cons of modern surf casting rod technology however a name that keeps being mentioned on my local fishing site is Assassin rods.  I believe they are manufactured in South Africa.  Could be worth a look.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 7:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I did some surfcasting many years ago. I wasn't very good at it. If I ever get another surf rod I'd be seeking some advice because I just don't know that stuff. Something I'd really like to know
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 9:22am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Composite Developments is the only NZ blank manufacturer / supplier I know off.  They still have a good rep especially overseas and do a 14" surfcaster blank. I don't think Kilwell sell blanks anymore.  Mudhole is the largest overseas supplier, they look like they are good value but don't list a 14" in their range.

And this may sound ridicolous for a top quaility blank but take a look in AliExpress (LureSport is one saler there).  There is a huge selection using the latest materials and weaves.  A lot of the blanks sold on Aliexpress are from the same factory that make the big name brand rods like Shimano so the quality is also up there.  I haven't got a blank from there but do use a fully made up rod that is the same as one of Shimano's top surf casters.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 2:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Rod builder sent me a couple pics of 1 of  the  Tronix blanks completed for a customer...
cast weight approx 85grm-170grm.  14 foot .. 3 piece. excellent work..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 2:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

CD dont manufacture in NZ anymore have not done so for years, they supply great products that suit the current market,being the Okuma agents they do have an understanding of the NZ market..
Gave up dealing with Kilwell - had good products and looked after builders( not any more). Lost there good reps who knew what they were talking about. Now just lip service ..
 CTS is the only company making blanks in NZ  ($$) (mainly export)
Theres a couple of company's in Aussie that do supply over here .
Maybe to much info....

Alot is changing in the market

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 5:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good info Scuzzy

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 11:51am
Titanium
Titanium

Assassin Rods from SA..  pretty sure they are made in China - they are nice rods if you like low mount, also Blue Marlin supply surfrods ( to a few others in SA) under a couple of names .. Like most company's in SA buyer beware- I know of a few people been burnt ..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 2:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

Zipplex Rods UKhave now closed doors, they don't produce blanks anymore which is a shame but understandable in the current market. This will create a huge hole in the industry in the UK/Europe for some of best blanks for surfcasting/distance casting and mud fish carp blanks ... There's going to be a lot of rod builders in the UK market screaming for second hand blanks/rods - collect them 
Pretty sure Century and Harrisons(if you can buy them) will pick up the market for UK designed and built over the counter rods.. There is the New Tuna Range from Argentina worth looking into.
There's a few made up rod suppliers in the market but surf rod blanks are getting harder to source and import ,  really surprised some companies have walked away from this market as there's people passionate about surfcasting/casting  rods and like  to build .. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 7:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

Finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a couple of CTS S7 blanks  , these will be set up the fishing the black sands of the Watu north to Kawhia chasing snapper..  

S7 Surf

Quantity: 2

• Length: 

13'0"

• Section Lengths: 

Unequal

• Model: 

SV03 | 80-160g (3-6oz)

• Finish: 

Standard Paint

• Standard Colour: 

Jet Black 

I will also be ordering a couple of blanks in different lengths to have a play with as well.. 

Dont need to fish 14 foot rods anymore as dont fish big swells  1 meterish as they say is enough these days