Meatball, Mayhem, Mokau...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meatball, Mayhem, Mokau...
    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 9:52am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, Solo mish yesterday morning had a few firsts since I have been a boat or should I say Dinghy Fisherman! 

I was straylining away having an awesome session. having  already caught three over 20lbs and a few others my bait supply was getting low. In the near distance there were alot of Gannets, Turnes and other birds working. I packed Straylining in and decided to have my first troll of the season for Kahawai. 

I got to workup it was going nuts! Just parked up and casted, fish after fish. Then thousands of these little fish the Kahawai were chasing came to the boat for protection. Racing around the hull in big circular balls they were getting picked off by Hundreds of Kahawai rocketing through them only inches away at timesThumbs Up All i had to do was dip the spinner five feet under water jiggle it and a Kahawai jumped on.

After ten or so I headed in leaving the poor little fish with no where to hide anymore becoming a meal for the Kahawai. I kept one of the good Snaps for measure comps and also got a nice Kingi on a strayline bait which in turn will be Used for Straylining bait next time I'm Out..Beer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:02am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geoff you are going to do what??
also got a nice Kingi on a strayline bait which in turn will be Used for Straylining bait next time I'm Out

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 11:23am
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Pcj, I don't catch alot of Kingfish as I don't target them. Wife and I are not a big fan of them to eat. They are very good Straylining bait with there tuff skin! Have caught alot of big Snaps on Kingi when I have had one available. Just finished cutting up for bait, took pic to show wot I do.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 1:04pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice Geoff, don't know how we going settle Mick down to do his 8 hr shift ,with all this action off the mokau �£
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 3:28pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ve had that a few times when your boat becomes the centre of a bait ball. Was having a quiet bottom bounce session in 25m off rags. When  hundreds of skippys raced to boat and swirled around and around tightly underneath. We were flat out pulling up and changing rigs when a striped Marlin raced in in full colour just under the boat and the skippies where gone in a second and it was all over back to bottom bouncing 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 5:34pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It happened to me at Raglan a few summers ago, albs etc swarming at 35m mark and next thing I hooked a marlin on one of my lures. Needles to say it didn't stay on long but gave the gear a hell of a work out.
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 7:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shad shad wrote:

Nice Geoff, don't know how we going settle Mick down to do his 8 hr shift ,with all this action off the mokau �£
Hi Shad, Maybe I don't even tell Mick Iv'e been out fish'nLOL Id'e say the next flat day your not going to see Mick at work!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 7:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

I’ve had that a few times when your boat becomes the centre of a bait ball. Was having a quiet bottom bounce session in 25m off rags. When  hundreds of skippys raced to boat and swirled around and around tightly underneath. We were flat out pulling up and changing rigs when a striped Marlin raced in in full colour just under the boat and the skippies where gone in a second and it was all over back to bottom bouncing 
Amazing Real Deal!! Thought about getting phone out for a couple of photo's but I was wet water in boat,  blood everywhere from Kahawai and didn't want to put phone at riskLOL Have already drowned one in boat!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 7:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

It happened to me at Raglan a few summers ago, albs etc swarming at 35m mark and next thing I hooked a marlin on one of my lures. Needles to say it didn't stay on long but gave the gear a hell of a work out.
Cool tjm!! Another thing i enjoy seeing is when the little fish tail dance on top of the water in there hundreds  when getting chased!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:02pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice stuff Geoff: envious with my mere pannies :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 5:40am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Nice stuff Geoff: envious with my mere pannies :)

Thanks Brmbrm!! Your out there doing it bb, With the large amount of boats fishing some areas these days, and still putting fish on the table is great!Beer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 7:38am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

That 86cm snapper was a chunky fish Geoff. Be good to see one hit the 1m mark one of these days and I'm picking it could come from down your way.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 10:46am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

..having  already caught three over 20lbs and a few others my bait supply was getting low

Couldn't help but shake my head in amazement at this casual comment. Reminds me of Zane Grey in one of his books complaining that they started fishing north towards the Cavallis and 'by lunchtime we hadn't caught a single marlin'
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 10:53am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

That 86cm snapper was a chunky fish Geoff. Be good to see one hit the 1m mark one of these days and I'm picking it could come from down your way.
Thankyou for reply Grunta! Yep it was a Fatty alright. On the 1m mark I dream about it, would probably be a NZ weight record as well if one was caught. You here the odd story of 1m Snaps being caught but I have yet to see a genuine pic of one on a measure mat. Been nearly ten years since i caught my PB 94cm in 2012 and haven't really got close to it since. The 90's are very rare these days. Cheers! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 11:18am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

..having  already caught three over 20lbs and a few others my bait supply was getting low

Couldn't help but shake my head in amazement at this casual comment. Reminds me of Zane Grey in one of his books complaining that they started fishing north towards the Cavallis and 'by lunchtime we hadn't caught a single marlin'
Hi waynorth, I know my casual style of writing would seem unbelievable to some at times but i can assure you it was exactly wot happened. And wots more I could of anchored back up with the fresh bait, waited a while and the bigger Snaps would of been back! I'm fully aware that alot of area's in NZ with huge amounts of boats fishing catching a 20lb Snap these days is regarded by many as a trophy of which it is. I'm blessed to live where I do and have worked out how to catch them...Beer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 12:31pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hmm. I see how my post may have been open to mis-interpretation Geoff. I stress that reading your report I shook my head in amazement, not disbelief. I did the same when John Gregory caught 4 broadbill solo in a day, and when Ultimate Lady caught some stupid number of marlin in one day at the Wanganellas. Standout efforts in all cases, and a reflection of both the fishery and the fishers involved.

Don't change a thing. Thumbs Up

treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 2:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

Hmm. I see how my post may have been open to mis-interpretation Geoff. I stress that reading your report I shook my head in amazement, not disbelief. I did the same when John Gregory caught 4 broadbill solo in a day, and when Ultimate Lady caught some stupid number of marlin in one day at the Wanganellas. Standout efforts in all cases, and a reflection of both the fishery and the fishers involved.

Don't change a thing. Thumbs Up

Got it Doug! and thanksWink Some impressive stats there for the Gamefishers mentioned! I remember a few years back here in the Naki we had warm waters, the right currents and something like 500 marlin were caught, tagged or released just for the New Plymouth club alone. Some boats caught stupid numbers then! Since then back to regular tally of 60-100 per season.Beer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 3:29pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah - about 4-5 yrs ago you guys in the Naki had ridiculous gamefishing.
Thats an impressive day Geoff. 
Very cool when stuff like that happens.
Big strip baits. Thats what seems to catch the big snapper I am told.
Next kingi I get is going in the bait bin. Got one last week - but sad to say I (and a few others) ate it. Sounds like I wasted it now.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 8:28pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I kept one of the good Snaps for measure comps and also got a nice Kingi on a strayline bait which in turn will be Used for Straylining bait next time I'm Out.

Well done Geoff you're a legend with very few peers in your class. But I must say as soon as I read this I pictured you tossing out a whole Kingi rigged up with a couple hooks on your 7ft rod and Penn reel ready for a mammoth Snapper. That I would love to see...
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 2:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

I kept one of the good Snaps for measure comps and also got a nice Kingi on a strayline bait which in turn will be Used for Straylining bait next time I'm Out.

Well done Geoff you're a legend with very few peers in your class. But I must say as soon as I read this I pictured you tossing out a whole Kingi rigged up with a couple hooks on your 7ft rod and Penn reel ready for a mammoth Snapper. That I would love to see...
LOLLOLLOL Thats the funniest reply I think Iv'e ever had Steven. The first sentence thanks!! Mind you I have Butterflied big adult Kahawai before and caught them!!