Been a minute, but im back! .. With Questions! :D

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote loryda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Been a minute, but im back! .. With Questions! :D
    Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 11:34pm
loryda View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Holy ****, its been awhile fellas.

So my short story.. I sold my last boat before Facebook was a thing to help fund one of lifes bastard moments.  

And regret it i did, as its been a series of other moments of other kinds since while ive patiently waited in the wings for my turn to spend my hard earned.

Well gents, that day finally ****in came last weekend and i took ownership of a 1999 Buccaneer 720 Executive.

Shes a little rough around the edges, she needs to be renamed, she needs some TLC and MEK in some places, but by god shes mine and she floats.

Sorry, just had to wipe a tear..

Anyway, shes a beaut.  Its a true love story, but she does need a bit of work, and a few toys to make her mine..

So....

I have around 3k to spend on a new GPS and Fishfinder unit.

My eyes are squinty at the best of times, so i need something with a larger screen.

I like the idea of SideViews and ClearViews and all that jazz, but have only ever used the old style sonars.

I fish mostly Lures for Snapper and Kingfish in the Waitamata and hauraki Gulf in Waters from 10m to 50m, but would like to be able to go deeper on the odd occasion.

I am currently looking rather hard at the Garmin EchoMap Ultra 105sv with the GT56 600w Transducer.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

And Christ its good to be back!
Cheers,
Alex.
"We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free."

-Bill Hicks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 11:41pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All my friends like the low rider .....

Welcome back Alex Big smile
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 3:53am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 6:10am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Welcome back, unfortunately I've never used the new gear  either but I'm sure someone will be along to help you out.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 9:06am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I changed from a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI to a Garmin Echomap UHD 95sv with GT56 transducer. 
Its excellent. The touch screen is very easy to use. It shows fish sign well - but I havent used it over 50m depth.

I havent used Sidevu - read a comment on a forum that it was useful for seeing structure out the side, not fish sign.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 3:45pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool boat.
 I dont like touch screen, espec it have wet hands , and/ or its a bit choppy.
 Sidescreen/ clears  yep a definite go in winter.
 Make sure the bimini frame has the extra cross bits so is still stable with no rear guys and side clears  off or rolled back inside.
I modded mine so can still tow boat at 100kph + clears back.. removed rear guys.
And the helm window so folds back under the roof and secures to the roof out of the way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 5:36pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just fitted an Echomap 65 to one of my boats with the 500W chirp transducer. Mine is not touchscreen. Very happy with the unit and the trans can find fish down to around 200m.
So depending how deep you want to go, you should be fine.
Alan
Legasea Legend member