First day out this season

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First day out this season
    Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:00am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My first day out in months. What with lock-downs and floods...you just have to stay positive.
Went to the M22, a stream I've fished for 30 years. Called in to a cockie I've know for that long and we always have a good chat....hows the grass growing, getting good returns and, of course covid, which has been an issue nearby.
Water was still a few cm higher than I'd like as my old 73 y/o body struggles wading in rocky, fast flowing streams.
Anyway the fishing was a bit hard. Just one take on a PT - as I was admired the perfection of my cast, I was slow to mend and had too much slack line out and only had on very briefly.
My MO is to drop rod, vest and hat where I'm going to start, drop lunch (always from Viands) in a chilly bag at half way then park where I finish then cycle back to my gear and stash bike.
A very hot day and at lunchtime drank all my water and had my kai.
Trying to start up again, I got a minor tangle . You know the sort when a dry + nymph wrap themselves around the rod. You look at it and think should I snip the flies off and retie but you think (incorrectly) that it's an easy fix.
Ended up cutting the flies off after a much longer time than I'd thought.
Flicked my flies out just to get away from the very tall grass on bank.
Bugga, snagged a submerged object and was too deep to unhook so horizontal rod and a straight pull hoping the nympth would break off and so it was. 3X to 4X.
Retied a nymph and next cast managed to land the dry on a bramble.....both flies gone!! Just tied on a nymph with no indicator and cast into a fast flowing pool and got a really nice rainbow.
I have a thing, I like to change a fly that's just caught something so on went a big deerhair dry and next cast a decent 4+lb brown.
Never changed that fly and got another decent rainbows.
A decent catchwise day but some really frustrating moments. My new Airflow Dash casted really well.
That's fishing, eh?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken