Swivel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Danzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swivel
    Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 12:07pm
Danzel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, Would it have a negative effect on me catching fish if I attach a swivel at the end of my leader so I can easy change out lures, rigs etc?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 12:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I use Mustad Fastach swivels for attaching jigs and even traces when bait fishing. They are very strong and reliable. I have never lost any gear from using these clips but others haven't worked well for me. With lures especially I'd go for the smallest I can get away with then it is very unlikely to hinder the action

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 2:12pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pay some more for good quality swivels . I've lost a good kingfish to a cheap swivel failure. In fact, once bitten, twice shy, I use quick links all the time, but generally remove the swivels. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 3:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I will just add, the main reason I use them is so I'm not shortening my leader everytime I change a lure. Not all swivels are created equal
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 3:31pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

x2 to Smudge's recommendation. I regularly use the 1.2 size Mustad clips for attaching jigheads when softbaiting, and haven't noticed any drop off in catch rate etc.

They can be a bit hard to use if your fingers are cold and wet in winter, but otherwise very useful. They help to reduce line twist when using 'egg beater'/spin reels and lures.

They are very reliable. I have heard people say the attachment part can twist and mangle, but I haven't seen that in my use.

In fact, I'm convinced they've saved me a couple of my bigger fish which had inhaled the softbait, and I think a loop knot would have been in big danger of being chewed through (which has happened to me).

I gave up on the 'Genie Clips' after I lost my first good softbaiting snapper when the uni knot to the leader slipped through a barely noticeable gap where the loop joins the main part of the clip (to be clear, the whole jighead eye didn't come out through the clip part itself).

If I want to clip on a leader when bait fishing (ie the pre-tied leaders have a loop knot tied in the end) i just used a typical clip swivel. But I don't recommend them for light lure fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 7:09pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I still use the genie clip with swivel. So far no issues/lost fish. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 8:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

I still use the genie clip with swivel. So far no issues/lost fish. 

I've never tried a genuine Genie Clip but tried some imitations that have lost me so many lures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 7:04am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Once I lost a really big bass (puka) when a cheap pressed steel clip just blew asunder on 16 kg of drag.
I threw out all similar clips in my bag along with all my mates (gave them replacements).
What the difference between a cheap clip and a top class clip is only a few bucks and when you consider how much fishing costs losing a good fish to crappy tackle isn't worth it.
I did lose a good snapper on a quality coastal lock clip that just separated at the bearing. It was old and that's another aspect you need to learn. If it looks a bit 'used' then biff it.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One the end of my mainline have swivel and clip 20kg rated from memory.
The clip is big enough to hang a 8oz reff sinker.
 If SB ing I clip a genie clip with swivel...
And as above have lost fish on these because of the gap at the eye. A small squeeze in the vice sorts it so l9ng as no sharp edges.. end lines up at 90 deg.
With the swivel and clip I can go from sb/ lures/ strayline to ledger...
And since I old school stray line with reef sinker and trace on the clip rather than top of the hook, I can quick change sinkers as current/ depth etc changes.. But baits must be tidy, if spin then you dont catch any fish.

I use braid..the swivel is cats pawed onto a 30 turn Bimini twist loop on the end of the main line.
On the single mono rig it is uni ed

I have never lost a fish , or even 3m plus sharks being skull dragged from 50 odd meters.

Yes using clips means hooks in water longer.. if no hook in the water you cant catch..
Fish swallows a hook, unclip the trace another pre made clips on, chips in trace or
change lure or trace hooks size or trace gets chip from fish teeth
 Get a tangle with guy next to you, untangling is easy if off the main line.. or if a little more complex tangle, just cut the trace up and clip new one on.

My traces have a small surgeons loop with 3x thru finish knot at the top.