Smoked Chicken

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoked Chicken
    Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 3:54pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Low at 225f/107C for the first 2:45min and then increase the temperature to 325f/163C until internal temp on the breast is 162/72C. 
So my two big birds at 1.8kg each finish cooking in 3.5hr.
cherry wood used.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 4:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks great RC. But there is something about smoked chicken I don’t like 😂 I think I really only like smoked salmon and mussels.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:47pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rockcrashing, they look really good. Muppet too much smoke can kill the programme for sure, my opinion . Those look very well done. Love doing mine stuffed some say you should not as it dries the meat but no it does not . In saying that my worst chickens were done on a Bradley smoker seemed to dry them out, no offence bradley. I use a Weber or my other's are Kamado JR or Treager they all give a very good moist meat/chicken.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 6:00pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smoke chicken be it butterflied or a tray of supermarket marinated pieces brought quickly at the supermarket are a stable (along with Angus sausages) for filling any empty shelves when we smoke...

Fish fillets usually 5 to 6 hrs around 40 deg...
 Then crank the heat up to get internal chicken to around 70 for 10 mins.

Cherry is nice...
What is the rub?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 8:27pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

truss your chooks bro, they come out even better
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 9:06am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Hook-it Hook-it wrote:

Love doing mine stuffed some say you should not as it dries the meat but no it does not . In saying that my worst chickens were done on a Bradley smoker seemed to dry them out, no offence bradley. I use a Weber or my other's are Kamado JR or Treager they all give a very good moist meat/chicken.

I do a lot of smoked chickens on a regular basis - charcoal and in my trusty weber.

@Hook-it (and any others with dry meat)

Mate, if the birds are tending to dry out a bit, might I suggest turning them over when they are done and resting them breast side down.

It takes all of about 15 minutes and all the juices run back into the bird.

It makes a huge difference to the juiciness and improving eating quality.

Try it.Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 10:52am
Gold
Gold

Thanks guys, most of the time I don't comment how good it was, I think from the picture you can tell it is very juicy with nice smoke coulor. 
I can tell you it have ton of flavour, some from the rub but mostly from the smoke. 
Steps, initally I was going to season the birds with only salt&pepper but in last moment decided to try small amount of new rub i haven't use before.
My wife ask after eating the chicken if by chance they put something to the rub which might be illigal :))) 

One more thing, a video.
I like his cooking, one thing i don't agree with him is "chicken are dirt cheep" my birds were damn expensive Shocked 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 11:30am
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that Jaapie.  

All of my 'meat cooks' are covered and  rested. Just found the Bradley with the warm dry air dried my cooks out a bit. Bradley cookers are still a good option for set and forget, not wanting to diss the product.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 11:39am
Gold
Gold

Hi Hook-it & Jaapie, how do you guys seasoning you birds ? lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:42pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

RC  I change around a bit .  First chicken is brined in salt/ onion/cloves /brown sugar for 12 hours just depends on bird size. starting with my oils for skin (1) Extra virgin Olive ) (2) Sesame oil  (3) heat up some butter and lemon rind with bit of EVirgin. Next is salt /pepper with small amount of Chicken stock seasoning then some All purpose seasoning when rubbed I sprinkle some dry sage over that. Leave for an hour then slow cook smoke. I add similar flavour's into my stuffing.

I use other bits and pieces depends on what I want . I do not use much if any garlic . I think you have plan sorted all comes down to experimenting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 3:45pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

Hi Hook-it & Jaapie, how do you guys seasoning you birds ? lol

Hey mate,

The basis for all my chickens start with a jug of boiling water over the birds in the sink. The heat-shock shrinks the skin to tighten it for the cooking which makes it super crispy.

Living in Asia I learned this from the hawker stalls that did the ducks. Used the same principal for chickens and WOW!
Leave the bird for an hour or so for the skin to air dry.

There are so many ways to season a bird, but my wife loves a herbed lime and chilli rub I do.

I stuff a lime or lemon cut crosswise up its arse.
Take a handful of vegetable oil or any neutral oil (not olive oil !!) and massage over the bird covering it all.

• I have this chilli and lime rub I use on a frequent basis that has just the right heat. Apply liberally over the bird making sure to get a good covering all over. Basically lemon pepper, garlic salt, oregano, basil and thyme that I dry from the garden, some paprika and peri-peri chilli flakes. EDIT: Forgot to mention a teaspoon of brown sugar as well

• Another rub I do like is a Louisiana gumbo rub - it's an acquired taste, but we like heat.

Cook as usual making sure to rest the bird on its breast so the lime juice in the cavity runs back into the meat.

Hope this gives you a bit of inspiration!Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 8:35am
Gold
Gold

Yesterday cook. Six spatchcock chickens. Dry the chicken from the marinade, seasoned with dry mix of herbs and Rum&Que Nashville seasoning. Cook at low temp for first 3hrs at 200f and then increase the temp to 350f for the next 30min. Brushed the skin with avocado oil  in the last phase of the smoke, the skin was very crispy and the meat juicy. Smoked using cherry wood.

It takes time for the smoker to cool-down. The temp and the smoke is great to do some bacon as well ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fred01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2022 at 12:17am
fred01 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

OMG , delicious
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:00pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Neighbour knows I like smoking things so gave me her indian tandoori recipe. What else to do with wet weekends.Need to marinade longer but was a quick thought. No complaints from family

Used left over Webber bricks,doesnt give the smokey flavour,more heat if anything so back to the original apple bricks

Chicken very tender after 6hrs and threw skin away as gets tainted.Thought if this fails might cook some sausages at same time.Interesting taste like salami.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic