Trevally all day and a big snap for Jody

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trevally all day and a big snap for Jody
    Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 5:06pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Found these video files from a while back, this is one of my favourite days fishing in Auckland - we had a school of trevally under the boat most of the day and a big snapper smashed Jody's live bait right at the end...

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Scotty. Don't tell anyone but trevally are my favourite fish to catch. You need to be on your game to find them. You need to be one your game to tempt them. You need to be on your game to get them onto the rocks - tricky! - or on to your boat.

I guess it's a bonus that they are one of the happiest smoked fish or sashimi fish on the planet
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:16pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

... they are one of the happiest smoked fish or sashimi fish on the planet

How times have changed.  I recall times when they were only considered as bait.  Blue and yellow cardboard packet as I recall.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

... they are one of the happiest smoked fish or sashimi fish on the planet

How times have changed.  I recall times when they were only considered as bait.  Blue and yellow cardboard packet as I recall.

yeah I remember those days for sure. One thing that has stuck with me from when I was a kid was 'if you kill it you eat it' principle.

On my 1st or 2nd trip to Little Barrier many many years ago we had an awesome session on a charter boat 'Tide Ryder' with a guy ... I think his name was Ted Ashby. Anyway, we caught big snapper, kingfish, terakihi, and even ling. I learned how to catch trevally on that trip also. I came home with a lot of fish, and one of those fish was a smashing 3kg trev which I gave to my sister in law and her stoner boyfriend. Anyway I had a couple of smaller trevs for myself.

A month or so later when we next caught up I asked how the trev was. I used it for bait was the reply. I was pretty pissed off. I didn't need the fish myself but it could have gone to a more rewarding home.

I'll never forget that trip, especially as my mate and I were using jigs to catch the trevs. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

1989 I think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:06pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

... One thing that has stuck with me from when I was a kid was 'if you kill it you eat it' principle ...

Nothing wrong with those values Smudge.
In the early 1960s I caught a large trevally off Red Beach chasing a work up in an 8 foot clinker dinghy powered by two young kids, one oar each going for it.  It took an old fashioned triangular shaped metal spinner lure.
The other kid's mother cooked it for us and I thought at the time what the hell am I doing eating bait.