Raglan Shelf Break

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Valhalla Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raglan Shelf Break
    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 2:13pm
Valhalla Jeremy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All, I am wanting to have a go at some deep sea but i don't know where to start. I'm not after anyone's top secret spots but maybe a few area co ordinates to try and general area's. My home port is Raglan and I've heard people speak of the shelf break but i don't know where this is...

Any advice welcomed

TIA
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 4:10pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

join your local club , meet people that know your area well . take puka you are after ?
Your local tackle shop also a good option , take your chart with you and mark down some areas . Im sure local is friendly enough . Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 5:03pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The shelf is a long way out and the boaties that make the trip often go out with another boat and raft up overnight. Of course, this is a trip that needs a GOOD weather forecast.
A trip from Kawhia on the Clansman is worth thinking about.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 10:01pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hey VJ, thats a great home port. 
Not sure why you would want to spend the cash to go wide. Get to 50m anywhere and sit or if good sounder scout. Next month 40m etc. You are lucky to be in such a good fishing location. Nothing like east coast for me. There are unexpected on and off switches apart from tide, moon etc Etc. You can sit on a spot for hours with little bites with 5 other boats. They take off then in half an hour you get your limit of 2-5kg snapper in 30 minutes. It’s nuts. Spend time on the water and enjoy. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 10:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

hey VJ, thats a great home port. 
Not sure why you would want to spend the cash to go wide. Get to 50m anywhere and sit or if good sounder scout. Next month 40m etc. You are lucky to be in such a good fishing location. Nothing like east coast for me. There are unexpected on and off switches apart from tide, moon etc Etc. You can sit on a spot for hours with little bites with 5 other boats. They take off then in half an hour you get your limit of 2-5kg snapper in 30 minutes. It’s nuts. Spend time on the water and enjoy. 

I'm guessing he's more interested in bluenose or swordfish going out there. I'm not really sure when out wide becomes the shelf break but i'm guessing around 900m
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 5:48am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what a trip that would be, I’ve never done it. Grief you would want a solid weather window. Very much on your own out there. The fishing would be an adventure 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 10:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Put navionics on your cell phone or pad.
Or here
https://webapp.navionics.com/?ticket=ST-1493511625rNKBQNGYg0-pXbHduqG#boating@7&key=%7CpueFw~ug%60%40

Shelf break my understanding would be about 45 / 50 nm off Raglin.

It just depends what you are tagetting.. A good feed..
 Off the waikato its
start at 20/25m (3/4nm)  drop anchor give 30 mins nothing move further out to 40/45 (6/7nm) 30 mins again if slow ,55/60 (10nm)

After that think one gets into game fish.. thu have seen game fish several times back in at the 30 m..

Blue nose etc havnt been that far yet.. would like bigger hull and not limited so much by the tides at the waikato bar.

Joining the local boating fishing club.. chat to locals, local shop...  and having navionics app on your phone helps when they show you stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Valhalla Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 12:34pm
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers yea my rule of thumb is any more than 40nm you go in pairs as the coast guard have to apply for special permission to come and get you. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Valhalla Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 12:35pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Mate, yea no problem finding snapper out there thats for sure but wanting to go wide for wreck species
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Valhalla Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 12:35pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yea its a haul i know that much, i'd probably over night out there with another boat