Buying a Japanese import.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a Japanese import.
    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:58am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi guys. Been a longtime since I have brought a car for myself. I've owned my trusty Bighorn over 16 years. Am looking at upgrading to a Prado but most in my price range so far have been fresh imports many with low K's. Case and point a 2010 with 43000km. Can I trust it. The Mrs is saying stay clear of imports but does not leave many in tidy condition online. Am a bit stumped here.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:17pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you steer clear of imports you won't have much, if any, choice.  I think almost every car that me or my wife or the kids have owned were all imports.  My wife's last two were direct from the importer.  Not had any problems with any of them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm with Kevin, I don't think you will find much
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:42pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bighorns are a import anyway, they were a trooper nz new. But like anything get it well checked out as best you can and good to go
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:43pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

put yr number plate into CARJAM soon tell you country of first registration
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:24pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by cosmo cosmo wrote:

put yr number plate into CARJAM soon tell you country of first registration
some are not yet registered. Is that dodgy? Does it prevent a studious person looking up the history or is there still a way?
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:26pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by cosmo cosmo wrote:

Bighorns are a import anyway, they were a trooper nz new. But like anything get it well checked out as best you can and good to go

Yea I realise that I've certainly bought imported cars before but without a verifyable service history I wonder how much is accurate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some are not yet registered. Is that dodgy?

No they come in , pass customs, compliance, to the yrad  and get regist as sold... leaving the cost till the sale which means less overdraft sitting in the yard

Trusty bog horn.. upgraded our tow bighorn to the  new ssangyoung... and kept the  96  imported bighorn.
 Huge around  upgrade in towing, long trip comfort.
Bighorn has no rust, everything works except passengers window, and surrounds of the lower front pack light fell off. Fully under sealed, seats always had elcheapo covers to wear out and rubber mats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:12am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Year. Bighorns 94/96 exceptionally reliable. Done about 460,000 km in mine..Never towed with it though. Local mechanic says their gearboxes go if used for towing horse floats. Cost of new gearbox more than vehicle cost.

Whatever import you decide on I would check on line for any known faults for that model. There are some vehicles which have quite well known gearbox or engine faults.

If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 11:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Local mechanic says their gearboxes go if used for towing horse floats. Cost of new gearbox more than vehicle cost.

Its not a transmission issue, its a oil temp issue.

They are 3500 rated to pull stumps not heavy trailers..
So when towing the radiator transmigration cooler is little small.
 It only needs a small after market added before the radiator.. Before, because trans oil has an operating temp.. ranger (reason why when cold it doesnt go into OD)  so if cools too low the the radiator brings back up to temp... of excessive hot , cooler drops a bit, radiator does rest..
 From memory there is something about this in the big owners manual.
 Also never over fill the engine sump oil.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 12:19pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Local mechanic says their gearboxes go if used for towing horse floats. Cost of new gearbox more than vehicle cost.

Its not a transmission issue, its a oil temp issue. Agree

They are 3500 rated to pull stumps not heavy trailers..
So when towing the radiator transmigration cooler is little small.
 It only needs a small after market added before the radiator.. Before, because trans oil has an operating temp.. ranger (reason why when cold it doesnt go into OD)  so if cools too low the the radiator brings back up to temp... of excessive hot , cooler drops a bit, radiator does rest..
 From memory there is something about this in the big owners manual.
 Also never over fill the engine sump oil.

If you always do, what you've always done. You will always get, what you have always got
Henry Ford