Last word on Kai Iwi Lakes, Northland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last word on Kai Iwi Lakes, Northland
    Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:43am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fish & Game have said it better than I can in their magazine. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:53am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have spent many days fishing at Kai Iwi lakes but that was all in the early 90's. What a shame.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 12:01pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I have spent many days fishing at Kai Iwi lakes but that was all in the early 90's. What a shame.

If you returned there now particularly on a summer week end, it would be an instant remedy for any feelings of nostalgia as the quiet scenic
wonderland is now more like a aquatic playground close to a major Asian city ... if lockdown still in force there would be no chance of social distancing ! 

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:29pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's a shame - I've fished the annual comp a couple of time off the kayak and always caught something. Lovely clear blue water too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've heard that before Bazza and I now have little desire to return.

I only fished the comp once Telecaster, I got a prize for the best tantrum. I hooked and lost a decent fish in Sin Bin. Not knowing anyone was watching I threw my fly rod into the water and sulked for a bit Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:07pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The lakes are lovely in winter. I wouldn't dream of going there in summer. Too many morons.

That's a funny story smudge! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 6:19pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

This on top of the sad loss of Lake Ototoa which is not that far away from Kai iwi as the crow flies. 

Thankfully it seems as tho the worm infections that affected many of the fish in Ototoa did not spread ( possibly via aquatic bird life ) to other lakes.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 6:35pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

The lakes are lovely in winter. I wouldn't dream of going there in summer. Too many morons.

Hehe unfortunately it is true.

I have caught a trout at Otatoa Bazza! When it was in decline. Wasn't a happy looking fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigEarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 11:21am
BigEarn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Damn, I wasn't aware of this. What a shame!  Have not fished the lakes for a couple of years, but they were always on my list for another winter daytrip with the float tube Unhappy  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 3:58pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Hehe unfortunately it is true.

I have caught a trout at Otatoa Bazza! When it was in decline. Wasn't a happy looking fish

Did you fish there smudge when the boardwalk around most of the lake existed. Would imagine it cost a small fortune to build only to be ripped up because (allegedly)  environmental interests objected to the fact the piles had been treated.

Did you make the mistake of cooking up some of those freshwater mussels ?

They were very prolific, looked tasty enough but tasted vile, have heard of folk eating & enjoying ... but yuk.