BBQ/Spit/\offset BBQ

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:11pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

When we had our block we ran a few sheep and I was quite amazed by how little meat you got from a lamb, hoggets are much better tasting.
Where does NZ "hogget" end up.Can never find it.

This guy wonders why he got sacked.

He looks like I feel - Stressed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:21pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Yeah, when I say lambs they are in fact hoggets, ie over a year old and no babies yet or wethers the same age. Lambs don't have the same taste and are very small

May be wrong (was once) but prime eating & taste is determined not so much by age but rather by when they have developed their first two teeth & are referred to as "two tooths"

At that stage they will have more meat on than a lamb yet still tender & certainly more flavoursome ... ideal attributes for light to medium seasoning & bbq roast.

Yep your absolutely right Bazza, that’s when I used to knock mine over, some animals get nice and fat depending on how their looked after. But I wouldn’t bother with sheep again lots of work cause all they want to do is die from the day they’re born, bloody worms, eczema, foot problems and fly bum. High maintenance animals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:42pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I should add , do not use high heat woods...
They cook the outside too quick, also causing the fats to run too early and too fast causing flare ups.
Flare ups is when the surface fat gets so hot it ignites and flames shoot way up in the air..
Then ppl who havnt had it happen before think " I know , kil it with marinate"
 The marinate washes the hot fat into the fire, so now have the cadaver with flames shooting up off it , and the fire itself shooting flames up, compounding more fat being rendered...
 A very bad various circle.

Happens mildly every so often with colder woods, easy to get back under control quick... hot woods not good for that or how it cooks....

Basting.. over night in the bath and on the fire , I just use a big wide elcheapo paint brush.. need to spread wide and fast as the beast turns.

Have done pigs sheep hogget , lamb , beef (not whole carcass.. yet

I Really would like to do a nice Fallow deer one day..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 6:41am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hogget is sold as lamb now. If you're buying non frozen lamb in Winter/Spring then it's hogget.

Smudge, if they're a year old then they should be cutting 2nd teeth. That's the absolute best eating in my opinion. Given they age I would think they will dress out at closer to 22-25kg, without seeing them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 7:21am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by kimber7wsm kimber7wsm wrote:

Hogget is sold as lamb now. If you're buying non frozen lamb in Winter/Spring then it's hogget.

Smudge, if they're a year old then they should be cutting 2nd teeth. That's the absolute best eating in my opinion. Given they age I would think they will dress out at closer to 22-25kg, without seeing them.

Yes they are two tooths and yeah the wether will be about 25kg dressed. The 2 ewes are quite light bodied animals. They will only get bigger with the spring growth coming on now and they will get a little too much fat. Can't have a family spit until we're out of lockdown so it's going to be closer to Xmas
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 10:44am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

I've actually got a video of that Bazza from his 60th .
Will see if I can find it.....

WHAT ..... are you saying this sort of thing is a regular happening .... might expect such things from our Ozzie cousins but not from here in little ole NZ ...... but in afterthought guess it after all, is Manukau / Counties / Franklin territory & who knows what goes on once the duelling banjos get fired up on a dark night !!!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ho Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 1:16pm
Ho Dee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bazza they are lambs from birth up until around October /november when the cut their first 2 adult  teeth hence being called 2 tooths, a hogget, is another name for a 2 tooth. They then cut 2 more teeth each year until the are four, then they are full mouthed until their teeth wear down until they haven none left, and become gummies. We always ate dry 2 tooth ewes. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 9:25pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes they are two tooths and yeah the wether will be about 25kg dressed.
[/QUOTE]

I know there's not much to do in lockdown smudge but dressing the sheep, come on next thing you'll be asking what brand of velcro gloves people use...
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 9:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Yes they are two tooths and yeah the wether will be about 25kg dressed.

I know there's not much to do in lockdown smudge but dressing the sheep, come on next thing you'll be asking what brand of velcro gloves people use... [/QUOTE]

3M make a great range of gloves.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <12