Blast from the Past - 47lb Snapper

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote josh@nzfishingnews.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blast from the Past - 47lb Snapper
    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 4:50pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

NZ Fishing News - November 1996

'Howard's Monster' 

"Taking into account that Howard Marriott is a big man, this photo does little justice to his huge snapper. Not only did it weigh 21.32kg (47lb), but it was caught on a surf rod off the beach, on only 12kg line.

Howard was on his way to Napier from Gisborne to see his father, now in a home. On the way there Howard took his surf rod and cast a line out for a short try.

Coming into Napier's northern beaches is a little spot called Whirinaki, where the timber mill gives off it's tell-tale plumes of white smoke. It is one of Howard's favourite spots.

A little before 9am, Howard cast his line out, baited with a paddle crab. He has taken the legs off and double hooked it. It was quite calm, and conditions were good.

Only minutes later, in view of the main highway north, Howard's rod buckled over with a mighty run. For three-quarters of an hour he coaxed the big red in, but owing to the lip on the water's edge Howard struggled to actually beach the fish. He was thrilled to see its size.

On past otolith bone samples, this fish was probably around 70 years old. Although it would have blown away any lightweight world records, Howards just took a few photos, gutted it and ate it. 

Image caption: Howard Marriott with the 21.32kg snapper caught on a surf rod on 12kg line off Whirinaki Beach, Hawke's Bay. The fish was 1.2m around, and the fillets from it - yes, it was chopped up and eaten - were 17cm thick."

By Alain Jorion

Does anyone else have any unofficial world record breaking stories?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 5:30pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Napier!, of all places now a fish desert of sized snaps due to bad quota limits and commercial fraud over decades. Hope that area is on the mend. Hell of a fish that 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 5:34pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like that. Heard stories from a few guys about monster snapper.

Wasn’t it Milan from the fishing show who dropped a monster years ago?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 5:40pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Epic!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 6:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Of all the big snapper pics at least that one isn't a victim of perspective. What a cool pic
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 5:44pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a bit of a play with the photo, and assuming he is a big man with big hands, you can see his thumb down to the knuckle in the photo. Now you can use the thumb to scale the length of the fish. This fishes short length is approximately 12.9 times the length of the thumb. In the image below I have put the estimated length of the fish for 3 different thumb lengths. My thumb length is 70mm so this would put the fish at 90cm so would be close to 30lb, if about 75mm then length would be 96cm and probably close to 40 and at 80mm would be 103cm and 45lb plus.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 6:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehe nice work Detective Marligator. I reckon that is a genuine BIG fish. So many 'big' fish are all out of perspective
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 6:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Time for Skoti to post up his giant gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 6:35pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am looking at the tail wrist most of all and that looks easy the biggest I have ever seen on a snapper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 7:16pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maligator could easily be right.one handed with 47 lb??

National record 32.5lb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 8:17pm
Moots View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Maligator could easily be right.one handed with 47 lb??

National record 32.5lb

Mark Hemingway's 37lb is all tackle record
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 9:22pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Time for Skoti to post up his giant gurnard.
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .