Does anyone know good eel fishing spot in Palmy?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nellosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone know good eel fishing spot in Palmy?
    Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 5:46pm
nellosi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, I moved down in Palmerston north couple years ago

and thought of getting back to freshwater eel fishing.

I kinda don't know anyone around here so I googled up any fine spot
I could find.

I visited Manawatu river, and all the small streams connected to it
(haven't been able to go over to Mangahao river side yet due to Covid-19) but I could see I wouldn't be able to find any even without trying

I'm just wondering if anyone knows where to find eels around here.

Thank you :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 7:11pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Try the lake in the square. Might raise a few eyebrows though 😁 I used to take my gun dog there pre duck shooting season to pick up the scent. People look sideways at you though.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 7:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I don't know Palmy but a trip out at night with a good spotlight will tell you if there are eels there. Chances are most water will have eels providing there is cover for them especially if it is out of the current
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 10:09pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In between trout fishing I used to catch eels in the Manawatu River around Dannevirke in the 1960s.  I'd be very surprised if it's now eel free. 
One eel I caught had a trout of around 300mm in its gut which was of interest to the local Hawkes Bay Acclimatization representative.  He was unsure at the time whether eels predated on trout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cressie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 9:34am
cressie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i use to take my kids fishing the mangaone west stream by lees rd and awahuri rd. ,feilding i used live worms , a small hook weighed with split shot ,caught eels and perch in daylight hours ,catch and release only for us ,alot of fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 10:33am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by cressie cressie wrote:

i use to take my kids fishing the mangaone west stream by lees rd and awahuri rd. ,feilding i used live worms , a small hook weighed with split shot ,caught eels and perch in daylight hours ,catch and release only for us ,alot of fun.

Yeah no need to fish for them at night but they will be out in the up once it's dark so it's easy to find out if there are eels there
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nellosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 5:23pm
nellosi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thx for the tip :D 
that place does look like where  I could find some eels.
Any good access point there ? or should I just have to knock on doors for permission :0?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cressie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 7:44am
cressie View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

sorry for the late reply ,i would just knock on doors , i fished upstream on the true left ,from the road bridge,a line of pine trees on the bank . down stream from the bridge looks very fishable .ta cressie