Topwater higher-end land-based setup advice

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 1:32pm
crispy12120 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Just realised you are the painter crispy!

Buy a Saltiga yo got mo money mo problems 😂

Hahaha so I hear!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:05am
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I reckon either the 2015 saltiga 5000h or the 2020 Saltiga 14000xh will both be more than capable for lbg kingies. Aside from the bling factor and drag the other advantages the 2020 saltiga has is a slightly faster retrieve, and a bit more line capacity which could be handy if you ever want to use pe8 for extra abrasion resistance around the rocks. 

As other have suggested there are plenty of other  alternatives including the new Certate SW, the new BG series, and I think there's also a new saltist series coming out. Then there's the various Shimano equivalents, twinpowers etc. 

For my lbg stickbaiting set up I'm using a 10 foot tailwalk Okinawa Manbika 100sxh with a 2013 twinpower 14000xg. I'm pretty happy with the rod, although I'm yet to hook anything over 10-12kgs with it. It cost around $500 on sale from plat in japan, even with some eye watering shipping costs.

Tailwalk also do a 10 foot 6 'plugging special which is designed specifically for stickbaits and looks pretty nice. https://www.tailwalk.jp/en/product/manbika-ver2/

Yeehaa in Auckland were bringing in a few tailwalk rods, but I'm not sure if they still have any? Otherwise it's a case of ordering from overseas. 

I've been looking doing a bit of lockdown rod research and the Apia Grandage XD 100EX  looks really good.  https://fishingtst.com.au/product/apia-grandage-xd-rods-for-land-based-game-fishing/?v=9630b94eacc0
There's a few videos on youtube and it doesn't look as brutal as the specs suggest.
If you want to go custom CTS in Auckland make a few blanks that would fit the bill including the GT fight series. They're definitely not cheap though.

There's a bit of debate around using10 foot rods versus more traditional 8 footish rods from the rocks, both have their pros and cons, so it's really up to personal preference. 

The daiwa spartan series has an 8 foot 5 pe8 model which could be good for lbg, and it's stocked in NZ which is a bonus. There's also a similar spec rod in the Saltiga C series, although daiwa NZ don't seem to be importing them yet. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 9:47am
crispy12120 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

I reckon either the 2015 saltiga 5000h or the 2020 Saltiga 14000xh will both be more than capable for lbg kingies. Aside from the bling factor and drag the other advantages the 2020 saltiga has is a slightly faster retrieve, and a bit more line capacity which could be handy if you ever want to use pe8 for extra abrasion resistance around the rocks. 

As other have suggested there are plenty of other  alternatives including the new Certate SW, the new BG series, and I think there's also a new saltist series coming out. Then there's the various Shimano equivalents, twinpowers etc. 

For my lbg stickbaiting set up I'm using a 10 foot tailwalk Okinawa Manbika 100sxh with a 2013 twinpower 14000xg. I'm pretty happy with the rod, although I'm yet to hook anything over 10-12kgs with it. It cost around $500 on sale from plat in japan, even with some eye watering shipping costs.

Tailwalk also do a 10 foot 6 'plugging special which is designed specifically for stickbaits and looks pretty nice. https://www.tailwalk.jp/en/product/manbika-ver2/

Yeehaa in Auckland were bringing in a few tailwalk rods, but I'm not sure if they still have any? Otherwise it's a case of ordering from overseas. 

I've been looking doing a bit of lockdown rod research and the Apia Grandage XD 100EX  looks really good.  https://fishingtst.com.au/product/apia-grandage-xd-rods-for-land-based-game-fishing/?v=9630b94eacc0
There's a few videos on youtube and it doesn't look as brutal as the specs suggest.
If you want to go custom CTS in Auckland make a few blanks that would fit the bill including the GT fight series. They're definitely not cheap though.

There's a bit of debate around using10 foot rods versus more traditional 8 footish rods from the rocks, both have their pros and cons, so it's really up to personal preference. 

The daiwa spartan series has an 8 foot 5 pe8 model which could be good for lbg, and it's stocked in NZ which is a bonus. There's also a similar spec rod in the Saltiga C series, although daiwa NZ don't seem to be importing them yet. 

Pico thank you for your well-thought out advice!  I appreciate it and will definitely save it away for the near future as I've somehow ended up with a blue chaser 80/35!

I'm still keen on a 10ft at some stage and will be saving up for one. The tailwalk looks really good. 

Three topwater setups later and I still haven't caught a kingfish off the rocks hahaha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seaborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:34am
Seaborn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

put time in and you will get one with right setups
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 2:55am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

For rods, the japs changed the whole LB Game fishing with the 9 and 10fters. Especially the 10fters.
Go for MC Works Raging Bull or Ripple Fisher RunnerExceed. You can't go wrong with either. I take them around the world for GTs, Kings, Amberjacks and tuna from the rocks.
Saltiga 2020 14000XH or the 18000.

I have 4 land-based setups.
Ripple Fisher Runner Exceed Final StandUp 100SXH (PE10) + saltiga 2020 18000
Ripple Fisher Runner Exceed 100SHH LIMITED (PE8) + saltiga 2020 14000XH
MC Works Raging Bull RB98XS-2 (PE8) + saltiga 2020 14000XH
MC Works Raging Bull RB104XX (PE10) + saltiga 2020 18000

I do prefer a little the Ripple Fisher, but both are amazing. The PE10 rod has unending power, for the hardest spots when I really need to put extreme pressure on the biggest fish. The PE8 is amazing, the 100SHH LIMITED, by far my favorite rod. So much power and elasticity, the second the fish stops pulling the rod pulls back immediately and is a lot more forgiving on the body.  It is my go to setup in most of the spots.
The MC Works Raging Bull RB104XX (PE10) is not as "flexible" in terms of allowing to work well all kinds of lures and the Runner Exceed, but it is on par with it with strength. The MC Works Raging Bull RB98XS-2 works supper well with sticks, but you'll have to pull a bit more from her with poppers. It is less capable and pleasant as the Runner Exceed 100SHH LIMITED, but I think that RF rod is on a scale of its own, quite unique. Still, that PE8 raging bull will subdue big big big fish easily!

That's my recommendation. And I do like to change and rotate all 4 setups in different trips and fishing spots. If I had to pick only one, it would be the RE 100SHH PE8 with saltiga 2020 14000XH, it is by far the one I prefer, can work and do good with almost any kind of lure and it is perfect for my body weight too. Has power for everything. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 11:31am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good to hear from you Pedro. Email the pics to me [email protected] and I'll post them for you.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <12