weymouth landbased, have drone

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scarfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weymouth landbased, have drone
    Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 1:11am
scarfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

would you fish here? thoughts..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:35am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

NO!!  would have to fish bottom of out going tide. current is fast. Personally would find a better spot. Try under the harbour bridge use BOS sinker...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally Weymouth was a fishing village and a few holiday bachs
On the rocks at the end of the point?
60 odd yrs ago those rocks had nice muscles, beaches where nice sandy, occasional kingi, few snaps and carrots, always got KY.
 I believe not a lot to be caught now (????)
We used to walk the flat weymouth beach with sack around the waist, 6" nail in the end of a broom stick, with a glass scew top marmite jar with light bulb mounted inside, jublee clip holding it to the broom stick just above the nail.
No wind for most of the day, in coming tide, any time between 10pm and 3 am.
 Nice flounder, usually bigger than the frying pan.

But hey, you dont know till give it a go.

That area just nth a bit, near Wiroa island, between the creek and island  could pick up potato sacks of scallops.
 Quite a few ppl drowned as tide came and trapped them.

Then they built a bloody airport....Wink

The old hunting grounds of Scot Dixon and Matt Watson as kids.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 2:44pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Want eels fish between the markers who have on your chart.SmileGet the odd shark in summer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 7:30pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that's a kayak fishing hot spot, have seen some results posted, also a kingi spot
never fished it myself, I kayak fish other side of the muddy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 9:21am
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The Papakura channel is not far from Weymouth beach.  That'll be a good start.  The currents are strong and there's lots of rocks and shell beds that could cut your line upon retrieval.  There's also a lot of boat traffic that passes through that area that could also pose a problem.

Since lockdown I've been doing droning around the beach to test my new toy - the DJI Mini 2.  I've been recently advised that using a drone in this area is prohibited. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LONGROD420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2022 at 11:57am
LONGROD420 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Scarfish did end up trying weymouth ? Definitely a super fishy area have had trevally snapper gurnard and kahawai off the kayak in close enough for a drone at the right times of year. Id aim for an hour before low or just enough to get out to the point and send drone in direction of the Airport maybe a touch to left left and drop it along the edge of the channel bank. Definitely worth a go I reckon, shallows work best in this area imo, early morn or late evening I would say. Wont get long to fish with the tide be rushing in before ya know it and if you fish with the tide in it will be hard to get past the snags when you bring your line in you will most likely Get snagged 👍🏼