Any tips for good fishing?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any tips for good fishing?
    Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 1:13am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Give us a little more info. I'm guessing you aren't topwater & popper fishing. What is your target? Where are you fishing? Boat or landbased?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Our coasts are no longer.. in most places, populated with fish as was in the 50s and 60s. Where one simply thru out a hook on a bit of rope and caught a good fish for dinner.. and supply the neighborhood to boot.
So now, like golf, knitting, cooking, fishing requires experience and a honing of basic skills along with recording of history

History.. learnt this from the old man going back into the late 50s.
 Keep a log of what, where caught and tide, water temp, and time ( time day +dmy)
After a while you build up a data base of locations, and prospect a couple that maybe due to start firing on the way to intended position.. often not getting that far.

Also, we head out from the ramp,  and stop and drift over a bit of innocent looking foul or rock..throw a bait or SB over while setting up rod rods and gear...
Nothing worse than heading out, and a boil up comes up out of nowhere, and no rods or gear ready to go.
After a while one gets quite a few innocent little spots to stop and set up over.
Most think deep water, espec east coast, we did our best fishing in water 2 to 5m drifting thru bays... very rarely anchored at all.. unless diving.
 West Coast and harbours are very different kettle fish thu.

And if fish are there.. the little details matter.. like tidy baits so they dont spin up in currents or tangle going down. (also most common reason a anchor doesnt take) Quality hooks, right size hooks and weight sinkers for that current.
Making sure recurve hooks are mounted /tied on the right way round (which just looks wrong Wink)  Using re curves and jerking the rod everytime a small fish has a nibble, instead of waiting for the bigger fish to pick it up, swim away then munch on it...or just take the whole thing.
Not having the barb well clear of the bait..and bait right size for the hook.. usually look to be hanging and to big for the hook.
And if there are fish down there, accept it doesnt mean they want to eat anything..

PS and study google maps satellite pics, and upto date detailed maps like the navionics.

Hope these basics help..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 12:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Let's wait and see if Lionel gets back to us before we add to this thread, as it may not be as it seems. If it's a genuine request Lionel then my apologies and ask way! I'll probably end up moving this to an appropriate forum once we establish a few things.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 12:26pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spam is good bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 6:39pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah. Next time, if ever, we read from them again it will be a link to the softbaits (or whatever) they are hawking and asking us what we think of them. Or PM-ing people spam/scam links.

Time will tell I guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 9:53pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great, spambots replying to spambots now! Maybe they could start their own forum LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 6:07am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Maybe if I leave this here the rest of them will join in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 1:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Maybe if I leave this here the rest of them will join in?

Looks like I was right. So nice of Henry to join in!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BotStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 4:12pm
BotStomper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Quietly enjoying how after a period it looks like the original post has been edited to be an ad for sewing machines?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 7:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by BotStomper BotStomper wrote:

Quietly enjoying how after a period it looks like the original post has been edited to be an ad for sewing machines?

Oh ok then. I will stomp those bots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2023 at 7:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Got rid of them. They certainly do seem to congregate in one place. Silly bots!!