Logging in ..Again

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 12:47pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

So no Keith, we don't want to "intentionally restrict new members and ability to post" as you put it, but I totally understand we need to make it easier and we need to get on with it.

Im not suggesting its intentional at all.
 We have great ppl here..
Daily posts in threads have gone from 2 to 3 pages to 1/2.
 New members way down
Old members not coming back.
 Yes change emails etc is a small issue of all forum sites. So small that under normal conditions are not significant.

End of the day this has gone on for yrs now...
Its the only site of many that have encounter since start internet and old BBS day.
 It is not because of servers or security updates  but because of a coding error long time ago and not keeping full backups local(like the DHBWink)

Be it intentional or not.. the effect is the same...

It has been broken for yrs, never fixed, and are now here.. where should never have been.
How about you invest the $$ and time that Grunta and team have put in for little return.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 3:03pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well if you read back in this thread you will find I have.. and not without ANY adverts or return.. ALL at my on cost that goes back to around 2002...
Which includes not just the cost and time of creation, maintenance of the web sites.. (includes several the non profit sites including the NZ jowett car club and mail/ftp servers) but the cost of the purchase and building of the actual server hardware and software thats sitting next to my right leg at this very second.

Difference beng, This site has ads and a certain amount of advertising income to cover those costs.. I dont.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:23pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is very good news for the longevity of this website and forum, however, I think too many horses have bolted with all the small changes and upgrades. We have lost a lot of good people that have great knowledge to share and some with great humour plus experience in many fields of fishing and boating.

Some of those were paying contributors I believe, as they marketed some of their wares on this forum. And some have been members for over ten years.

Some of us tried in angst to get good folk to come back, I did big time, but sadly most of those folk could not login, sort passwords and simply gave up with the frustrations, and went to Facebook.

Whatever way Fishnet evolves to in terms of hardware & software updates, website changes, file permissions, simplicity of photo and weblink uploads, from PC/Laptop, Tablet, Cellphone, Android, Apple, etc are made, it must be made simple, going forward, otherwise the audience will continue to diminish and fade away like it is now.

On a different note to membership, I queried a Mod over a topic that had zero relevance to fishing and aquatics. Which eventually turned into rascism with supposed, hate speech. And clearly against Fishnet rules and doctrine.

My reply was, we are losing too many members so we tend to let things go to keep a discussion going...
On that note, it appears these days the only way to get an audence or gain traction and interest is to post it in the Briny Bar and move it into a topic column later if it gains popularity.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Page  <12