Advice on baitrunner reel for kayak

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on baitrunner reel for kayak
    Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 1:57pm
RDK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone,

I've got a 15kg rod that I'm looking to pair with a baitrunner style reel for heavier fishing (rest of my rods are 6-10kg softbait, slow pitch, strayline).

I'm looking for something that I can use for livebaits and straylining for big snapper/kingfish.

Im considering the Okuma Avenger 8000 and have heard that it's good value for money.

What braid would I run on something like this? Would I be able to run say 50/65/80lb or is that too heavy for the reel set?

Thanks in advance!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 3:23pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The avengers are very good value for money, it really depends on what braid you are going to buy as thickness varies a lot, i don't think there is any point of putting more than 50lb on there (i would go 40) as you only have 12kg of drag and need capacity.

Otherwise i would be jumping to a coronado or thunnus. The coronado 80 is a beast of a reel but chunky to
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 3:33pm
RDK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the advice and I think I'll run 50lb black magic braid on there from what you've said. It's around 0.36mm according to the website so should be able to load up close to 300m.

Seems the ideal thing to do. The other 2 reels sound great, but not sure I'm keen to have that much stopping power on a kayak lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 3:38pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

8000? On a kayak? How deep are you going?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 3:42pm
RDK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haha I knew someone would say something along these lines. Its like $10 more than the 6000 and I'm keen to use it on my mate's boat every now and then too.

I've got a few smaller sized reels and want to switch things up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 3:59pm
Gold
Gold

8000? On a boat? How deep are you going? ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:07pm
RDK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

As deep as I have fishing line in this case ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:20pm
Gold
Gold

How many snapper are you encountering at 150+m? Heck, same goes for Kingfish (the two species you mentioned)
If chasing 'puka I suggest the avenger and 15kg rod might not be ideal.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:47pm
RDK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not really sure what you mean seeing as they're sold as a set usually... I like braid so figure I'd up the lb strength to take advantage of the line capacity.

This means I can also run heavier/longer leader as well, which will take up space.

If you can recommend a bait feeder style reel for a similar price, then I'm all ears. From what you've said, it seems like you're not sure why someone would use an 8000 sized reel as a whole...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 5:26pm
Gold
Gold

The point was to question why you need the line capacity of an 8000 reel when targeting the species mentioned, especially from a kayak, and occasionally from a boat. Even from a boat, if you are going to be maxing the drag on a kingi, trying to stop it from making it to the pin, it's not likely to be enough drag anyway, even if that's about all most of us can realistically handle in a yak.

Buy whatever puts a smile on your dial.

Regarding sub $150 baitrunner-style reels, if new there aren't that many options. there are Shimano baitrunners that are sometimes sold in combo deals with rods for about $180 but that then brings into question what the rods for and if the combo rod is suitable.

If you go with the Okuma, can you please make a point of letting us know how it's working out for you in a years time? I'm on a cheap (sub $30) Okuma reel bender at the mo and keen to learn how other reels in their range are holding up (but it'll take a pretty bloody good reel to replace my baitrunner). Here's the last thing I caught on a cheap Okuma:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 5:46pm
RDK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That's a beauty of a fish right there! I'll gladly post an update if I remember in a year's time lol.

In terms of spool size vs drag, wouldn't a smaller reel/spool capacity mean less drag? So I'd have less line and less drag to work the fish in?

I guess "need" is a word fishos use with different meanings. Your pic shows that you can catch a decent fish on a very cheap set. Now compare that with those guys who "need" their $1000+ set ups and their $100k boats to catch the same fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:21pm
Gold
Gold

that 30-sized reel was being used to prove a point a month or so ago. It was at the very edge or beyond its suitability for kingies. The session before that one, but still using that reel, I was spooled, quite convincingly. On the kingi in that pic above it took me down to the last 10m of line. So, I got lucky. Very lucky.

Have since moved up to a 55-sized version of the same reel for more breathing room (about 300m of braid on it). If my choices were the 6000 or 8000 sized Okuma Avenger baitfeeders, I'd not think twice about buying the 6000 sized model, even if the 8000 is only $10 more. Extra line capacity when there's enough on the 6000 anyway, is like a match on a raging fire - pointless. You also don't get any extra drag capacity and it's heavier.

But if you were predominantly or always fishing from a boat and drifting livies down to 150m pins then the extra line capacity of the 8000 might be worth it but in that scenario the drag isn't enough for my liking anyway so the reel kinda excludes itself on that basis.

But that's just my thoughts and everyone differs.

Please do let us know how you get on with it, and good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:24pm
RDK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

300m of braid on a 55? How deep are you fishing ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 7:11pm
Gold
Gold

Hahahaha. It's a sub-$30 bender. Those were the two options - 30 or 55 and not quite enough on the 30 (150m) to feel 100% confident. Had there been a 40 under $30 it certainly would have been chosen over the 55. The Revenger Pro 40 is over twice the price so out of the question ;-)

Just thought of another thing - if you buy the Avenger, can you let us know in a year if the screws are rusting? They are just ****ty zinc screws on the Revengers which rust at the mere suggestion of salt water. Am currently trying to find good stainless steel replacements.