Waders, Waders and waders.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpringCreeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waders, Waders and waders.
    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 9:31am
SpringCreeky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello, 

I typically wet wade when I fish. During the warmer months I wear a pair of rubber soled wading boots with merino socks and Simms neoprene wading socks which are folded down as gravel guards. Then when it gets a bit colder I wear the Simms wading socks unfolded and up to my knees and then put a standard pair neoprene gravel guards over top. As I assume I will look like a tool with my unfolded grey Simms wading socks up to my knees I normally hide them under some long johns, and then put the standard neoprene gravel guards over top. This works ok as I normally fish small streams locally so don't often get my neither regions wet, and when I do it is only briefly Embarrassed

I think my methods stem from a degree of frugality/tightness. However, I have been eyeing up waders. I see in forum posts most people like breathables, but others are keen on neoprene to... for example I saw an advocate of thin Cabella neoprenes.  

I think my preference is for breathables as they seem better suited to what I do, and seem easier to try on for size locally. I did think about a pair of thin neoprenes with a stocking foot, but these seem impossible to find off the shelf in a shop (apart from bringing in from offshore which I don't want to do). I like to try on before I buy! 

Anyway, I have a question. Breathable textiles use a DWR coating for waterproofing/repellency, and these historically contained perfluorocarbons (PFCs) and many probably still do. So I assume breathable waders use/used PFCs too. Its seems many outdoor garment manufacturers are trying to move away from the use of PFCs in their DWR coatings due to its environmental persistence (Fluorinated DWR (Durable Water Repellent) Finish - Patagonia). Looking at waders its seems the the local Desolve brand are the only ones that have PFC free waders. So, what are peoples thoughts on this PFC issue? Is the new PFC free coating on Desolve waders as good as PFC? And is this new PFC free coating actually any friendlier?    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 5:53pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can't say I've heard any discussion around this. It's a good point however.

I have a friend involved in the outdoor clothing industry, and he pointed out to me the move away from this. He noted how all garments the PFC free are definitely not nearly as good as PFC coatings.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 9:38am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Oh and in regard to breathables v neoprenen.  Breathable all the way!

Neoprene sure has its place, which is in the depths of winter (5c or colder) and if you are only walking a very short distance from the car.  In all other instances breathable wins hands down.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 5:21pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On a very frosty Taupo morning (-7) crossing TT at Cliff Pool at pre-dawn following a flood, wearing breathables with fleece track pants, never saw a log jammed near the other side and the subsequent erosion of sand around it. Nek minit.....water pouring down waders and current taking me downstream....not nice.
Managed to pogo my way downstream and found myself 100 m on firm ground.
Was light but had to strip totally naked and squeeze as much water from my inside wear as I could. Really needed neoprenes at this point.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:43pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't know anything about PFCs. But I know lots about walking from the TT carpark to the Ranger's pool and back in neoprene waders. I also know it's a major step forward in doing the same walk using Simms Freestone Toray waders, then having them fall to bits after 5 years. Finally migrating to G3 Gortex waders and kicking myself for not stumping up the cash for Gortex in the first place.

In short Neoprene versus Breathables, night and day. But when you buy your breathables, don't settle for cheapies, go Gortex you won't regret it. Far quieter to walk in, you don't feel like you're walking in a plastic bag, and they breathe way better. As for fishing in -5°C. I always wear merino long johns under mine with thick wooly socks. Keeps me nice a toasty.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz