Suzuki DF140 or Yamaha F115 (2021 models)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote plimmerton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suzuki DF140 or Yamaha F115 (2021 models)
    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:31pm
plimmerton View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im looking to repower my stabi 559 with either of these engines.
Will the Suzi be too heavy for the boat?
Dollars about the same.
Replacing Yam 115 saltwater series.
Any constructive comments will be appreciated.
THE HARDER YOU WORK THE LUCKIER YOU GET
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 6:43pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Suzuki should be fine. The extra power will be a bonus over the 115. The 140 Suzuki is 2044 cc , Yamaha is 1.8 L  Suzuki also runs a bigger propeller.
I am running a 115 Suzuki on a 5.5m Surtees workmate which is a similar size boat to your 559, 115  is slightly heavier than the 140. You are going to get fantastic fuel economy out the 140.  Dont know much about the Yamaha 115.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 7:48pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I’ve got a Df140 on a 5.6 glass boat and can’t fault it. Getting economy of just over 0.6 ltr per nm. I guess it depends on your local service agent. Mine is just round the corner and awesome mechanic/good bloke.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:11pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had Yammy 115 on My 575 a few years back. Total peach of an engine. Great fuel economy, plenty of power and like any modern 4 stroke .... never missed a beat.
Never owned a Suzuki 140 but by all accounts a fantastic engine.
I would go for as much power as possible. 
DIY. 0.6 ltr is outstanding.
My yam 150 DEC only gives 1 ltr per mile. 6m tinny.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:38pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep really happy with the economy, it’s the same from around 20 kts up to about 30 kts then over that starts to drink a bit more. Tops out about 40 kts.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:42pm
Platinum
Platinum

Re 150 DEC what hull is that on and Mile as in nautical mile. curious got a mate running a Surtees 610 GF getting 7lts/hr trolling with a 140 Suzi. My 115 Suzuki is alittle better trolling.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 6:12am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Surtees 610 GF.  
60 ltrs p/h at WOT. 41kts ...yikes.
 Cruise around 25-30 kts 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 4:39pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have the same boat as DIY with the Suzy DF100A, the detuned 115/140. Same 2.0 litre block. 

I get the same economy as he does, just did a 95mile trip on 38litres, was a glass day with only 2 on board though.  I don't get the monster top end he has sadly:-)

Suzy you get the bigger block than the Yammy, 1800cc vs 2000cc so you'll get more bottom end, the offset crank seems to also help the suzy with grunt.  Its also Cam chain so cheaper maintenance cost (no cam belt to replace which the Yammy has), Also the charging system is a 40AMP, compared to 35 on the Yammy. So if your running more electronics, the suzy will feed the electrons better than way. 

I just couldn't find weights, suzy is 186kg I think. 

Im also a fan of the digital gauge suzy has with the ability to scan QR codes and email your shop while your on the water. Yammy possibly has this option too...

Suzys limp mode is 3000rpm so some boats can plane at that speed to home. Mine.....hmmm unsure. 

Digi vid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 4:40pm
Silver
Silver

I sit at 4950rpm and get 28-29knots at around 20-24lph.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:49pm
Platinum
Platinum

95miles on 38lts is very good or is that 95km What boat are you running Neil

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:56pm
Silver
Silver

Seaforce 530 ute

Ill have a re think maths etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 8:05pm
Silver
Silver

Its 95kms sadly :-) so my normal trip is around 33-35l for 90-95kms
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 11:12am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Couple observations from above posts. One can awesome mileage with props that load up powerheads...even when the max rpms are within the manufactures range with very low slip numbers and higher pitches.
 This usually become apparent (subject to hull and motor hp at the prop) when on more modern  boat around the 5m to around the 6.5/7m range start getting better than 1l per nm. The better powered you are the better scope for good slip numbers and increased economys.

Also one cant compare trolling economy numbers when have different hull water lengths. you are then into displacement and semi displacement hulls. With this situation, the longer the hull the less fuel you will use.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote plimmerton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 8:40pm
plimmerton View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks all for all your comments.
Have paid deposit on the Suzuki but have to wait for shipment in November(hopefully this year!). Many new imports have been dealt the covid blow.
Still a bit worried about the extra power. The stabi is rated to max 130hp.....insurance?...etc
THE HARDER YOU WORK THE LUCKIER YOU GET
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 9:41am
Silver
Silver

wicked stuff - stink there's such a wait!

There are plenty of people who are in your position - upgraded motors and are now above the HP rating. My hull is rated to 115hp but states OB max weight allowed is 200kg. 

My understanding is weight hanging off your backside is the actual problem, if your transom is designed for 200kg, but you throw a 250/300kg motor on there, then during deceleration or big bounce is chop the amount of strain the rear of the boat undergoes is massive.

Anyone know if issues with higher power? you are only 10hp above your max not 50. 

The suzys 100/115/140 are all 185kg. You could check with stabi but that may help or hinder your cause ie if they say its not good then your outside WRT warranty stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 2:18pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My understanding is weight hanging off your backside is the actual problem, if your transom is designed for 200kg, but you throw a 250/300kg motor on there, then during deceleration or big bounce is chop the amount of strain the rear of the boat undergoes is massive.

Basic skipper skills.. Never travel at speed, then pull back the throttle fast..regardless of what grunt on the back, the hull stops fast and the following wake will come over the transom.

As to weight.. you may put an OB on the back in spec.. then start adding tuna tubes, live bait, extra battery, a bucket of water to drop fresh catch in and 3 burly guys fishing off the back.
If bit over powered , and over weight which I am on my old commander with a V6 150hp..
 common sense comes into play.. dont be a bloody boy racer in a supped up boy racer car and havnt attended to good tyres and brakes...Wink
 Insurance, think they will have something to say iif miss use the power and hull causes an issue.. where it doesnt.. maybe not.
 Also a thread few yrs ago discuses a member here who paid a little extra for a replacement 'upgraded' tag on the boat ...Wink