Jerky Drag on baitcaster

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jerky Drag on baitcaster
    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 10:04pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Noticed my Genpu 151XT has developed a very jerky drag. I replaced the drags with Carbontex last season as I ask a lot of this little reel as it’s on my slider rod and it has done battle with a few big fish over the last few seasons.

Anywho I’m pulling it apart tomorrow any advice what to look for apart from obviously damaged drag washers?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 8:56am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chances are it maybe just a little moisture on the drag discs.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 4:22pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks Steps.
Yeah I think moisture in general was the issue.
These reels have no sealing to speak of. Grease had emulsified and there was corrosion starting on the brass main gear.
Stripped the reel and polished the main gear and all brass parts.
Checked and oiled the bearings.
Cleaned the drag washers and a light grease with Cals and it’s as good as new.

Might need to be a bit more careful with this reel and service it more regularly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 6:38pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Baitcaster reels need a lot of maintenance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see so often ppl with rods in the rear holders , traveling in the boat.. fine spray from transducers, engine, speed pick ups, etc...is not good.
 Even when rinsed down end of the day... which again the number crew who dont bother to line their rods up with mine to be rinsed when back home....with drags still tight.

I used strip and service once a yr.. regardless.
For last few yrs, out of interest, acting on the above, gone back to the service when something not quite right.. eg the drag.
This is not something I usually do with my stuff.. be it lichen on the roof, anti rat maintenance around the house, clean house, vehicle servicing etc.
I havnt serviced the rods for a few yrs now...

I heavy hose  the rods, butts, and the reels fine spray.
I have cheap rubber rod holders screwed to one of my workbenches in the shed. The rods get stood up to dry
As passing next day a spray with rod 'crc' type product or inox..just enough to dampen evenly... I also do trailer wheel nuts , rollers, which but not the  plastic bushes, clips, hinges around/in  the boat
Some time over the next few days, another spray , and spray a clean rag..then chill out with a coffee wipe clean, back off drags, place in the rod racks.

A few minutes here and there, be it the house , cars, gardens, boat, rods, lawn mowers etc....saves huge amount of time and money in repairs etc

OH I did upgrade all , except guest rods, with Carbontex drags about the same time as just cleaning well only.

If going that way contact The REEL GUY  ad on the right.
He knows his stuff, very helpful, quick response, and prices for parts etc very reasonable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 6:12pm
Silver
Silver

Steps
I absolutely agree. I have been accused of being a bit OTT when it comes to maintaining my gear, boat etc. it was coming due for my annual strip down and service for this reel.
My post trip regime is almost identical to yours and will even wash down rods that are taken but not used due to fishing in an open boat.
In general the well sealed reels need little to be done however I suspect the design of this reel makes it susceptible to water ingress even water from the line when casting and retrieving.
I might add a mid season service in this case or retire it to trout jigging might be an excuse to get another reel. 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 11:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The reels that dont appear sealed, and places on covers etc that only maybe, I put a layer of inox high pressure food grade grease between.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 10:07pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well, a tale to tell. I have a Tica Caiman bait caster LH wind as is my preference, however the drag was sticky, kept on busting lines. I had Swordfish Steve aka reel repair guy work on it, it came back buttery smooth. Went fishing with an abu Garcia noodle and 10 lb braid, 28g colt sniper. Landed ac20 lb snapper.
The preset drag was somsmooootyh. Let the fish run, wind back, repeat.
If you need a service, he’s the man
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had Swordfish Steve aka reel repair guy work on it, it came back buttery smooth.....
....If you need a service, he’s the man

Totally agree.. if just need bit of advice or talk thru, hes very helpful.
If need something fixed, serviced hes right on to it.. no messing around.. done and returned.
 If need parts, quick no messing around.

Yet to meet the guy, but my dealing with him on the above
Top Notch...   classic example how things should be.