Anyone made their own roof-rack cradle?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone made their own roof-rack cradle?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 5:32pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My cheap J-racks have rusted out.

Am thinking maybe heating some thicker alu and bending to a good fitting shape, or maybe fibreglass, or?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 7:27pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I made some rack cradles for my kayak about 25 years ago. The cross bar was about 30mm diameter galv pipe. Either side of the bar I had 18mm ply scribed the same curve as the bottom of the hull. Then screwed 6mm ply to the curve to stiffen and spread the load. The 2 pieces of 18mm either side were bolted right through.
Hope I've explained it clear enough.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 8:40pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Kitno. That could work. I've epoxy resin and could find some marine ply...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 9:18pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tanalised timber, s/s screws, exterior wood bond glue and galv bolts should do it.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:56am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Remember to fill the pipe with clean dry builders sand before attempting to bend, if that's the way your going to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:59am
Gold
Gold

Thanks Fraser. A great way to support the tubes. I probably won't use tubing though.

Here's another thought: what about getting  a sheet of 100mm thick polystyrene, shaping two blocks/forms to fit the hull and shape a seat on the bottom of each block so they sit on top of/mate with the existing roof rack cross members a little bit. Then use 75/100mm wide fibreglass tape wrapped around the polystyrene as many times as I can to reach about a 5-10mm thickness. Then, when the resin has set, just melt-off the EPS with petrol, leaving a jointless, contoured, fibreglass cradle to bolt to the racks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 6:23pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks F4T. Why buy something when I can spend twice as much plus countless hours making something that works half as well? ;-)