Prescription sun glasses or fit overs?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpringCreeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prescription sun glasses or fit overs?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:32am
SpringCreeky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi 

Building on the polarized glasses post recently on this forum, I am on the look out for a new pair of polarized sun glasses for trout fishing. As I wear prescription glasses I have two options, prescription polarized sunglasses or fit overs. 

I had a pair of prescription polarized Rayban sunglasses, these were okay. But not being wrap around let light in the sides which possibly reduced their effectiveness. I assume having wrap around glasses is important. Alternatively, with fit overs I wonder if their effectiveness is reduced by having two lenses to look through (normal glasses + fit over). 

Does anyone have a preference between prescription sunglasses or fitovers? 

Cheers! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 10:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I eventually went to prescription/ progressives (multi focus not light dark) a few yrs back.. Had always worn light colour and weight shades, polarized for driving and boat fishing.
 Thought about the clip on.. but that extra weight on my nose did not sit well.
So went for the full prescription progressives plus polarized pair.
 Did mess around with the old glasses over the top.. sort of proof of concept if clips would be better.
That was a few yrs ago.. on 2nd sets glasses now and again got the 2 pair.
With stand prescription one is limited to the glass shading and colour...So if going for a particular colour/shade, go clip ons.
If not too flushed, more good fit, weight good all round drive/fish/etc.. go full glasses.

I also have that macra??? retina delamination and get injections.. which makes 1 eye pretty well blind.. look at a persons face thru that eye and they have just a roundish blur for a head..
With the prescription shades, one notices the blur using both eyes much more...to the extent that if unless had them on for quite a while (dont notice blur patch) it can be annoying.
Side note:
Have had to learn to shoot a rifle right handed...before did not know had the blur, and could not figure out why couldnt hit a barn wall for a few yrs... 1st shot with 7mm mag 250m hit the hanging 'teardrop' . about 3" x 2" .. and repeated several times with other rifles.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 11:58am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A few years back I decided to get myself some wrap around prescription sunglasses. I am very short sighted so the lens became very thick at it's extremities at the wrap around part of the frame. As the lenses were also progressive I had quite some distortion looking to the left and right - gave me terrible headaches. I couldn't handle them and swapped them for a conventional pair of prescription sunglasses.

I now have both prescription sunglasses and fit overs. The fit overs do add extra weight to the face but do give all round glare protection - i tend to use them mainly for shorter driving trips.

There's a significant difference in price between prescription glasses and fit overs - so much so that I'd suggest you buying a pair of fit overs to test before committing to a set pf prescription glasses.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:44pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've had prescription sunnies for quite a few years now. Really like them, they are not wrap arounds, but can't say I have had any problems with light getting in behind them.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 10:29am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I also havnt had issues with non wrap around with my prescription Polaroids... or my old aviator style sunnies.
 Thu I think this maybe much to do with good fitting (sit  very high on the nose and shape of the lens (??)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 11:13am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Must say iv fished with several people that have had polarized, non wrap around style glasses, and iv handed them my pair to try for a few mins and they have been shocked at how much they are missing.   

Any light getting onto the back of the lenses (the side that your eye is on) is going to create reflection that will interfere with your ability to spot fish, if that's what your trying to do.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 6:02pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Had a pair of Maui Jim progressives for about 3 years and they are fantastic. While not cheap, they're worth every cent as far as I'm concerned and never had issues with light getting onto the back of the lenses.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:25am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just bought myself a back up pair of fit overs:

$29.99 on a 24 hour deal
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 3:05pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have been struggling with this for a while doing a lot of sight fishing it really matters if you get glare.  I had prescription ones but I lost them on a windy day when my hat blew off. The cheap hat fell in the boat and the expensive sunnies in the sea as the hat hooked them and ripped them off my face.

I currently have a pair of cocoons fit overs which fully wrap around and are very comfortable. No complaints so far except my wife saying I look like a fruit fly with the on Cry

I might investigate getting prescription Tonics at some point. I believe you just order online with your prescription or something like that.

Will see what happens if I have the spare cash one day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpringCreeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:17pm
SpringCreeky View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey, 

Thanks for all the replies. 

Interestingly I had aviator style Raybans and my mate had wrap arounds and he often spotted fish I didn't see. So I guess I am leaning toward wrap around style glasses as I want to eliminate every possibility I might miss a fish.... Although the difference between my mate and I is that he might be better at spotting fish than me :) - I wear prescription glasses and he doesn't. Also, I think a good brim on the old hat is important for spotting too.

I am still undecided about whether to get fit overs or prescription, I think for now I am going to get fit overs, and then perhaps save my pennies to get some really decent wrap around prescription polarized sunglasses.  

Both Maui Jim and Tonic look like they have some good options. I know there is a local Visque Optometrists in Hamilton which stocks Maui Jim's, so I could have a look and day dream next time I am in that part of town :). 

Thanks again. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:06am
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a plan SpringC.  Just remember to get a cord to go with what ever you get, so you don't loose them over the side?  

I remember back in the 80ies moving back from the UK with a very expensive pair of fishing glasses.  I leaded down to pick up a fish for a photo, and the glasses fell off my face and into a swift river... never to be seen again.  Something you only do once!  I now always have a tether on my sunglasses.  

Personally I only use very light yellow lenses glasses these days in freshwater.  I find the more light getting to my eye, the more data my brain has to process and figure out what is a fish and what isn't. 

Not sure if you know of this trick, but when spotting for fish, try rotating your head left and right to find the sweet spot to block out the glair.  You will be surprised as to how much of a difference it makes.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:52pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Costa do the vast majority of their frames with prescription lenses. I put off getting a pair for a long time and regret that I did. 

I agree that getting a wrap around style frame makes a monumental difference to how much glare you will cut out. I fish for a living and wear my prescription Costas every day and can't fault them.

Worth finding a pair that offer prescription lens in glass as they will last much longer than a Polycarbonate lens and you will see more out of your investment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 11:52am
Platinum
Platinum

Yea I'm with you there JB, definitely glass lenses. A bit heavier on the nose, but well worth it in my opinion.   Thankfully I don't need prescription lenses, but I do have stick on magnifiers for my presbyopia.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 7:45pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting discussion.
I recently had to get my first prescription sunglasses. Unfortunately I bought a new pair of pricey glass lens wraparound Spotters polarised sunnies last year, but putting them on made it obvious that my eyes were failing at distance and wearing them was worse than the naked eye.

The optometrist said I couldn't get progressive lenses installed into the wraparound shape pair i had as the curvature of the wraparound lens was beyond the capabilities of the prescription lens technology. Ditto my previous pair of Oakleys which i also took in.

Interesting to get that decision from the optometrist's lens maker, even though Spotters, like other manufacturers, offer a prescription service - for some prescriptions, anyway. Maybe they use different technology that enables them to absorb prescriptions within their own frames? 

So I ended up buying a pair of Zeal frames (the lower end brand of the Maui Jim company) which the optometrist sent away with my progressive prescription. Amber. Polarised. not wraparound, but with a wider arm so the light incursion from the side is basically non existent.
Took a bit of getting used to at first, but great to use now.
one benefit is that the magnification makes fish look huge!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:58am
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting Timure Kid.  Would have thought they could do it for you?  Maybe they lack the equipment to do the lens at that curvature? 

I'm lucky in that I have good eyesight, but presbyopia (Greek for old man eyes).   So in other words my distance sight is near perfect, but close stuff like tying on flys my eyes can no longer focus in close to see detail. Essentially with age the eyball becomes hard and the muscles cant make it focus in that close.  I  just pop a pair of stick on magnifier's on the inside of my lenses and then im good to tie flys on etc...

Smith now do their Guides Choice glasses with magnifiers built in, but not in their yellow lenses or in glass.  So I just got the glass yellow lenses and popped a pair of the stick on magnifiers inside.  Suit me down to the ground.  Also I find that I only need a tiny amount of magnifying lense to tie on flys etc... so I can get 2 pairs of lenses out of the one kit.