Family boat

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ainsley1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Family boat
    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 4:55pm
Ainsley1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

OK so I'm looking at getting a boat and looking at the haines v17l or sea nymph ranger.

Iv previously had a bonito 16ft hydrolift which was a great boat in all weather didn't have heaps of room behind the seats but fine for fishing 2 people.

Basically wanting to know from people that have had these three boats the pros and cons of each, apparently the v17 is tender at rest how bad compared to a bonito etc

It will be a fishing and family boat budgets not huge but can find these three boats in it

Cheers for any advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 10:27pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best advice I can give you in the price range indicated (exact numbers would help) that you should consider that you are buying a motor and trailer. If luck is with you, then a boat will get thrown in as well. If not? A few pages back on my C17 build thread I bought a donor boat for $6500. Then spent a couple of thousand on the trailer especially. Upshot is that the transom was rotten under the glass and it would need a complete rebuild to be seaworthy. Since I'm building a new boat I'm not going to drop the time, money and energy on it. Now I've got a $8500 lawn ornament, until I can transfer my project build onto the trailer and landfill the donor boat. It looked good when I checked it out, but a lot of damage can hide where you can't easily see. 

Do your homework, check for water in the transom and underfloor if you can. Check the condition of the motor and trailer. Then and only then worry about Sea Nymph vs Haines vs...

My advice worth price charged. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 8:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sea nymph , haines  Bonito all check the marks for a good stable family sea boat.. espec if well powered.

The next question is how big is the family ? and consider how fast they grow.

Size like Ranger @5m think yu will find you will quickly out grow , and likely to wish once had it something little larger to go that little further with bit more peace of mind if chops up in the after noon breeze.
Also bit more deck space to fish couple m8s.
The commander.. which we have .. gives that little bit more. Myself / wife 2 grandchildren (8 and 13) works ok.. and 3 guys outy for a fish, little cramped but fine. 4 a firm no.

Haines Bonito sea nypms all very well built boats and not as heavy as the rest of the old boats. eg the Commander 5.5m fully loaded 3 guys is the same weight as a modern 5.5m rayglass..
 Well powered.. these ideally 5.5m boats total gross weight with 100+Liters fuel on water 1150/1250,  are well powered @ 130/140hp
 115hp still run well, min power.

We are looking at selling our commander , ideally after buying a larger replacement, due to moving from east coast and overnighters (bigger cabin) .. to West coast bars little harbour more deck space.

Take your time looking.. We spent over 18 months looking for a 'commander ' type boat, in our budget that was fair priced, reasonably powered , not painted so could see all the war wounds and sound. Most where over priced or painted 'pretty'

We have been tenderly looking for around 6 months now.. not hard out, as no rush, current boat does everything needed except the deck space and fish 3 to 4 guys easy and take out more of the grandchildren at once.
What have noticed in the last couple months is the drop in asking prices of good  boats in the $12K to $45K  Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ainsley1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:55am
Ainsley1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for that info yeah iv noticed they seam to be coming down in price lately.

And yeah it's annoying how some of them look like good boats but becouse of the re paint it makes you wonder how butchered it was.
Sounds like I'm on the right track with those boats will keep looking until the right one pops up

Thanks