Taupo Comp last weekend

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taupo Comp last weekend
    Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:22am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished the Taupo Fishing clubs comp last weekend. We were based out of KInloch and had the boat and jigging was the way we went about things.
Plenty of fish in patches but couldnt get onto the big ones.
Landed 38 fish to the net in 2 and a bit days fishing, 2 double hook ups and 4-5 bust offs. Most released but some good fish for smoker. From small and slabby to nice conditioned silver bullets up to 2kg - biggest in comp was 2.3kg so missed by 300grams.
Depths fish caught were between 25m to 60m
Great comp and good weather, smelt flies particularly paler colours better.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Micsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 1:49pm
Micsam View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, just out of curiosity as I have never jigged Taupo but Rotorua region for years, when you say down to 60m are you meaning hard on the bottom at that depth or drifting out from a bank and holding flies at that depth?

Are you also marking fish at 60m?

Just curious as would never even contemplate going that deep here in Roto! Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 2:53pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes our biggest fish were caught on bottom in 60m - agree deepest i have caught jigging in Rotoiti on bottom is about 35-40m .  Different approach for Taupo a little but the big numbers were caught in "normal " depths of 30-40m  Mix of on bottom or winding up to marked fish mid water. More hits as per usual if fish marking close to bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 4:15pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Russell
38 trout in 2 1/2 days is pretty good going for there.  Shame about the smaller size.  Are you allowed to fish in Rotoiti for the Taupo comp? :)

Double hookups must be a handful with 10 or 12lb jigging sets.  Did the bustoffs come from double hookups?
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 2:45pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Geoff - no just lake taupo for this competition..
Yes we had 2 of the bustoffs from double hook ups - ie we landed one fish and the other fly was gone..
Also a couple   annoying bust offs at the dropper knot -     probably user error in the knot tying department - will try a different knot-- possibly the fleuro but doubt it                        
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:42pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3 times on the TT I've had double hook-upsand always had one break off, especially at the netting point. Well, you don't know you have 2 until close to the end.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 8:52am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

RF

I bought the little 3-way swivels for the droppers (like Pat Swifts rigs) and not had any problems there.  Otherwise I would tie a large loop using a triple surgeons knot and cut one end close to the backbone to open up the dropper.  This would make your droppers the same as your backbone (e.g. 12lb fluoro), which is maybe not such a good thing.  I've used this triple surgeons knot for tying double and triple dropper rigs for sea fishing, and don't recall any knot failures at the dropper knot.  But I'm not a show-off like you, and I don't catch fish 2 or 3 at a time  ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:14am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

our extensive field testing has indicated we get more fish on dropper rigs WITHOUT swivels but more tangles and bust offs. Catch 22 !  12lb a bit too heavy in my opinion.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote far call Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:10pm
far call View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you are not using swivels what knot do you use to make your droppers?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:59pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a good question - i am currently experimenting a bit here- most important thing is presentation. Is the fly presented as far away , as naturally as possible from the back bone.?  However strength of the knot is the next issue so trying a few different things here - but trying to keep simple as possible. The length of dropper important - used to think longer the better but not the case now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:10pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

A knot I've used for droppers is the triple surgeon's loop.  The knot usually ends up a little uneven.  When you cut the loop close to the back-bone, cut the lowest part of the loop so the fly sits up a bit higher.  Hard to explain, but if anyone wants photos to show what I mean, I'll supply them.