Bluefin questions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bluefin questions
    Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 7:28pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok Eastcoast Bluefin guru's what is the best moon phase to target these beasts ? Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 9:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When they are running?
I really have no experience of them, but transient fish I would chase when they are on. I would look more at fishing reports than moon phases. And I do fish some fish on moon phases. My preference (strong) is rising to full - a few days before.
Alan

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:29am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not advised to go on Full moon cycle, the bait holds deeper during the day and tuna only come up to feed at night. First and third quarter is my advice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

DV - in spite of what I posted earlier, I am now tending to agree with you. My experience relates to game fishing in Vanuatu. There the impending full moon cycle is definitely the hot bite. All the charter guys will say the same, and I plan my fishing around it - trying not to miss it. The charter guys do - when they have the option. The difference is discernable.
However, having spent the last 3 days chasing marlin in the Naki - for a new experience - I will reconsider that - for NZ at least. Right now is the hot bite time - according to my moon phase preference - altho I did not realise this when planning the trip - other factors took priority.
Day 1 (3 days ago), there was good bird action and surface action - something to work with. Approx 15-20 boats at a guess. 3 fish hooked.
Day 2 approx 20+ boats, two fish hooked and minimal surface action. Like a switch turned off.
Day 3 (y/day) approx 50+ boats (day 1 of comp), no surface action and 1 fish hooked.
And we are right in my hot moon phase. At day 3 we came to the conclusion the bait had gone down.
So what moon phase works somewhere may not work somewhere else. That would be my conclusion.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 4:52pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Or you were in the wrong zone Alan.

Moon phases do have an influence.

Hunting pelagics like all fishing requires being where the bait is.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 4:58pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mat - trust me - we were in the bait. Dropping livies. When we found the bait - we stuck with it until time to go home.
It took some time to find the bait on day 2 and 3 - no bird action. but the sounder doesn't lie. And my track marks from day1 when we were on bait served us well too. 
When we found it , we fished it until the end.
Also the Naki guys are real cool - they call up when they have bait or on a fish and tell you where. Nice to be fishing a place like that. very helpful bunch. Especially for people fishing the area for the first time.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 5:27pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I do.
Just checking.
Ah fishing, challenging.
Seems you did everything you could.
Which makes the results future bound so much more rewarding.
Doesn't make it easier though as you know.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 7:37pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All part of the game. Enjoy the day on the water and the challenge. We had a great 3 days.
So, back to the original Q. 
I have to revise my moon phase cycles for NZ. I know what works in Vtu. Swear by it.
Have phoned mates and told them to be on a plane before the next 2-3 days. And it works.
But it didn't work last week.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member