Yamaha F80 4-stroke 'UP' tilt relay

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha F80 4-stroke 'UP' tilt relay
    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 8:28pm
Islander View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey boaties, quick question about relays.  My UP trim/tilt has been playing up, but down works perfectly.  Over a period of time, UP has been intermittently failing to a point where it'll only work one in a dozen tries.  It is the same on either motor switch or remote.

I recently swapped Up & Down around, and immediately the problem reversed itself.  You'd think that is all the evidence you need, to order a new relay.  But then when I put back together, everything, both up & down worked fine.  I assume that while knocking it around a bit I just may have sorted a sticky relay.

After a few days of boating, it has just started happening again.  I'm all good to order a new one, but I was a bit shocked at the price for a simple part ($350 ex Japan) so don't want to replace if this is not the core problem.

My question is, should a relay either work, or not - i.e. is there such a thing as a sticking relay that might free itself or should I just stop being so tight and order a new one?  All wiring & connections look fine, so don't believe there is another cause somewhere.

Cheers!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 8:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a similar issue about a yr ago on my V6 johnny.
Down was ok, up intermitent.
Checked out current , impedance of circuits on land and every time looked good.
Eventually after 3 trips intermittent, could only trim up at the motor trim switch.
Still ecerything on the motor checked out so went to the switch on the throttle.. again on land checked out fine.
 So dispamtled the throttler lever and switch.
 !st appearance looked ok.. but looking closer, the switch retaining screw hole in the throttle lever, on one end had a fine crack in it. This allowed the switch to sink into the switch holder just a few thu of an inch, just enough so the 'up' would not work.
 A few vibrations later the switch would re position to normal position, work.. then switch position change and not work.

I broke off the cracked bit around screw mounting hole, cleaned up , then cleaned again.. roughed up the surfaces, then filled the screw whole, and outside surfaces with high end epoxy. Then a smear of grease on the screw head and thread, and switch body.. reassembled the switch into the throttle lever, before the epoxy set.
Fingers crossed the scew , because of the fine grease layer would not glue in place once the epoxy had nearly fully hardened an her or so later. The screw moved slightly , all ok and let the epoxy fully cure for the next 5 days.
All good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 11:51am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like Steps might be onto something there?  

Maybe get a mate who has reasonable competency with electrics to have a look for you?   Its likely the switch, relay or a contact in the circuit, that should be easy enough to isolate. 

Iv had relays stick in the past, and iv managed to open them up and clean up the contacts (that have essentially welded together) and got it back running again.  That being said ones on an outboard will typically be sealed by being a welded case, in which case you might be out of luck.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 8:33pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The fact that the fault is apparent on both switches, points to the relay pack, or the motor itself, the evidence though is strong for the relay pack to be at fault.
Is it possible to swap the motor wires around, and see if the problem shifts to the down function..if that happens, it's the relay pack..
You might even be able to swap the coil wired too, so that normal up down function is kept.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...