Lake Okataina boat ramp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Okataina boat ramp
    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:57pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone know what is happening next week to the Okataina boat ramp? Posters saying it’s closed for repairs 1st to 5th March.

Went today to launch but water level is so low couldn’t get any deeper than 6 inches deep before the drop off at the end.

The ramp was unusable as far as I could tell.

I haven’t seen the lake this low before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 10:26am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I don't know what the boat ramp is closed for this week. Would be nice to think they'll be making some improvements, but I won't hold my breath. I couldn't find anything on the Council website (didn't have much of a dig-around though).

Agree that the ramp'll be more or less unusable until we get some rain to bring the lake level up a bit. I launched there a few weeks ago and my boat got a good old rark on the stern when we shoved her off the trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 11:13am
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was talking to the guy who runs the tour boat. He said they were putting in more concrete off the end of the drop going down deeper. That middle section is a stuff up its almost level. Hopefully this will help but going to be a 40m boat ramp
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 12:51pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

You will probably find the council is waiting for a king low tide ....
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 9:57pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by old timer old timer wrote:

I was talking to the guy who runs the tour boat. He said they were putting in more concrete off the end of the drop going down deeper. That middle section is a stuff up its almost level. Hopefully this will help but going to be a 40m boat ramp

It’s a long enough run as it is. Definitely a unique boat ramp.
Seems like someone tried to reinvent the wheel and ended up with a
sled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:20pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anyone been down for a look at what has been done yet? If not, I might head out tomorrow and check it out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fubar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 1:50pm
Fubar View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

any news on this, i live in nagkuru and dont want to drive out there with the boat to turn around? if someone is goig there a pict of the upgraded boat ramp would be good, i bet they just replaced a few board on the jetty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:48pm
Silver
Silver

Looks like it’s “usable” again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fubar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:41am
Fubar View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks for the photos Crochet, would be nice if the council cut the bank back a meter at the top of the ramp, it’s the most interesting boat ramp I have ever seen, to put it nicely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fubar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 3:27pm
Fubar View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got there today and they were spraying the lake for weed, not really advised to be a good time for fishing,
Might try again next week
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 9:51am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I dragged the boat over to Okataina a few days ago and was expecting a bit of a struggle to launch, but the the plate that's been added made it a hassle-free experience.Didn't even need to submerse the car in order to get the trailer far enough back to float the boat.