Experiences of buying a boat at the boat show

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish n' giggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Experiences of buying a boat at the boat show
    Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 10:35am
Fish n' giggles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All goes well we may have a boat show this year in May. I'm wonder whether to put in a order now or to hold out for the boat show. 

Salesman have said that price will likely go up from March but I'm not sure if that's a sales pitch or not LOL

What are your experience in buying a boat at the boat show, did you get a better discount than 'normal' or similar?

Do you buy directly from the hull manufacturer? If so would one need to source the outboard and electronics etc separately? and who will put it together?

I've been to boat shows in the past to have a look and I found the fishing tackles to be similar price as you would get from a retail shop, unless you hunt through the bargain bin. 

Thanks in advance. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:17pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My 2 cents worth
Depends on which boat manufacturer supplier your referring to
Outboards are another story they always seem to have specials whether its free gauges fittings or price.
Ordering a boat now from some would probably not be ready until the boat show and then the outboard specials may be available.
But with the waiting list for some another question would be how long do you want to wait.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish n' giggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:21pm
Silver
Silver

I was thinking a Extreme and either a Yamaha or Honda outboard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Everything is basic rules of economics... Supply and Demand.

I've been to boat shows in the past to have a look and I found the fishing tackles to be similar price as you would get from a retail shop,

yes tend to agree, thu in the last 4 or 5 yrs, places like Marine Deals specials in the weeks leading upto the boat show are bit cheaper, even after adding freight...
And if dig very deep at the Boat show may find the odd thing same or very slightly higher price.

Boat show boat/ engine prices..
 This yr builders and suppliers have  stock and delivery issues.
 A "Supply" issue.. basic enonmoics sayas prices will either stay the same or sell at what the market is prepared to pay to own one of these, as they can sell eveything they can get at that price or higher anyway.

Not only are there stock issues because of world wide port issues, but things like the citizens not spending on offshore trips and channeling that money into boats, motorhomes, causing backlog in production and again Supply issues.

Personally I think we may well will see show discounts, but discounts off already the show room floor inflated prices.

That way the marketing/ propaganda boys still make you think they are good guys all about doing YOU a favour sort of thing...

End of the day thu.. you can see what happens at the show, put your order in then and wait 6 months yr cause of a backlog of orders..
 Or simply get, negotiate, a good price now and get your boat earlier..
 Bit of Catch 22 really

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:26pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Boat prices are getting like house prices. I'll be priced out the market soon! Back to the kayak I suppose Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:28am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fish 4T.
What do you see as cause for this hyper inflation in metals.
Assume most is imported.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alloy prices worldwide had been dropping, hence the issues with Tiwai plant, contracts getting re negotiated... Then add to that the world wide production turn down of metals when Covid hit.
Supply / demand.... Demand dropped.
 Now the Chinese markets are recovering, metal prices tending to go back up.
 Then throw in the Trump/ chinese trade war, tariffs etc, even NZ not getting any consesions from Trump... and the Current Administration not in any hurry to move down this route... yet.
 Also throw in the beginnings of signs the period of low interest moneys world wide coming to an end and the massive Quantum easing that has been taking place world wide on the back of already huge quantum easing in the last couple decades.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 1:24pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hugely increased freight rates could be part of it.And that will reflect on everything imported.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:03pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought NZ boat builders were all flat out fully booked? So no deals necessary
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish n' giggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:04pm
Silver
Silver

One would assume that boat builders and dealers have been making a killing since around Sep last year when people realise they're not going to be spending their 'hard earned cash' overseas so they start buying big boys toys in NZ. 

My mate bought a popular brand 6m boat alloy boat in Sep last year and the price now for the same boat and spec have increased around 5-7%. This is before the so called alloy price hike in March. 

People used to say that alloy boats are cheaper than glass boats, although it is still the case but some of the more popular alloys boats are pretty much neck to neck compared to the mid level glass boat market. In fact some glass boats are cheaper. 

I tend to agree with Step's comment that the sales boys will make you feel like you've grabbed a bargain.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 4:34pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im looking forward to seeing Osprey. I believe they will be concentrating more on the rec market and possibly opening/working with a dealer in Auckland. Something I wish Frewza could do, but I understand economies of scale.

I think the used boat market was inflated during Covid, nobody was buying, so people held onto their boats, then come summer when Auck received a nice dose of property gains after 4 years in the duldrums there was just an excess of monopoly money/equity that people decided needed spending as we cannot go overseas etc, so boat prices held their value very nicely, but am seeing a drop in prices, with more boats taking a month or more to sell again similar to a normal market etching to Autumn and beyond.

New boats were pretty much covered, one could be very cynical about this pandemic and world economies but there are enough conspiracy theorists in this flat world of ours :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 11:58pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hard to believe boat sales are up due to a lack of over seas travel re holidays. A 6m boat is around $100,000 with all the bells and whistles. That would be one hell of a holiday. More likely due to super low interest rates that can be gotten recently. Its not going to be a boat show to be buying a boat at if all the boat manufactures are months or years behind at with there order books overflowing.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 9:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A 6m boat is around $100,000 with all the bells and whistles. That would be one hell of a holiday. More likely due to super low interest rates that can be gotten recently.

Problems, issues, accidents, events, etc are a result of 2 or more things happening at the same time.
 No travel, plus low interest means  the travel deposit goes on a boat or motor home whatever and low or even nil interest makes large finance affordable... Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 11:16am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A boat is almost an investment at the moment. Supply and demand issues are really pushing up asking prices..... and there are certainly some dealers (and private sellers) taking advantage of the situation and commanding huge money.
But what the hell..... we aint going anywhere in a hurry , so might aswell enjoy what we have here in our back yard. And after what's been a bloody fantastic summer of fishing and diving  both here and far north I'm not to cut up about it.
Its kinda makes it easier to justify to the mrs knowing ya pride and joy out on the driveway is not actually plummeting in value.
Try saying that about a new Citron for example.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote clank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:29pm
clank View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I didn’t have a great experience at the boat show. That was about 5 years back so obvious different market now with COVID etc so not sure how relevant the following is.

I was looking for a boat several months leading up to the boat show. Not specifically waiting for the boat show, just spending the time exploring options. When the boat show came around I found the deals offered were no better than what I could have negotiated before hand. In fact, it was hard work on the day. I was prepared to spend $150k - 200k cash for a 7 - 8 mtr boat that day but battled on each stand to find anyone free and to talk with me.

The people I was privileged enough to talk to told me the deals were that day and that day only. Funny thing was, they were still ringing me months later offering me the same price so if looking at the show I certainly would say don’t get pressured by sales men to make a hasty decision. Hasty decisions are not always good ones. Buoyant or soft market won’t change that rapidly.

I ended up buying a Tristram, you can only buy direct from Tristram so a great experience. The price is the price, no smokes and mirrors, no dealers, great people, and no boat show crowds. They do there own show each year to.

The boat shows great for browsing for ideas and options but now I wouldn’t dream of trying to buy a boat there.