New to NZ - Way Points - Wellington

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sealine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to NZ - Way Points - Wellington
    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 5:41pm
Sealine View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello All

I am new to New Zealand. I arrived in wellington in December 2020 from South Africa.

I have done a lot of boat fishing in South Africa and looking forward to fishing in Wellington.

I have no idea where to fish and I'm hoping some members would share some way points with me. I have a Garmin Echo Map Plus fish finder.

I look forward to learning lots on this forum.

Thank you and kind regards

Trevor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 6:06pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is a link to another post some years back which maybe of interest.  I have no knowledge of these marks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sealine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 7:44am
Sealine View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 5:57pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What sort of boat have you got? Every single one of those marks is extremely exposed and only suitable for fishing in really good conditions unless you've got a very very capable boat. Conditions in locations like Fishermans and Five Mile can change quickly, I wouldn't be heading for either of them without getting some general experience of the area first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sealine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 6:01pm
Sealine View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Rozboon

Thank you for your reply and advice.

My boat is quite capable. I'm importing my boat from South Africa where I used it for surf launching and was very capable in rough seas. It is a 5.5m cat with two 50hp motors. However, I will definitely get some general and local experience first before heading to either of these places and will always be extremely careful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 10:03am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sit down with navionics, google earth and look at reefs , coast line, ridges Then look at current lines, often seen on google earth and many noted on navionics, and apply your experience in SA to the areas you are interested in..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:17pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You have a good boat. Know them well.
Get some good local info and you will be fine. As you may now know - the weather in exposed areas like Cook St can be seriously challenging.
Play well on the safe side until you are well familiar with it. Not to be taken lightly.
Alan
Legasea Legend member