TLD 30 query

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TLD 30 query
    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 1:55pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been giving my reels a bit of TLC. Well to be honest one was complaining, so one thing lead to another.
Stripped the 2 spd TLD 30 down. No real issues - but it was a bit stiff on winding the spool with drag on. Thought was prob lack of use over winter months. Pulled it apart, re lubed everything, and still doing same. More drag I put on, the stiffness in turning the handle increases.
I am guessing it is pulling the drag washer tight against the clutch plate, but can't figure why it would increase the resistance to winding.
Anyone had this? It is only slightly stiff, but on a decent fight it would be a PITA. A shim issue?
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 3:17pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Been giving my reels a bit of TLC. Well to be honest one was complaining, so one thing lead to another.
Stripped the 2 spd TLD 30 down. No real issues - but it was a bit stiff on winding the spool with drag on. Thought was prob lack of use over winter months. Pulled it apart, re lubed everything, and still doing same. More drag I put on, the stiffness in turning the handle increases.
I am guessing it is pulling the drag washer tight against the clutch plate, but can't figure why it would increase the resistance to winding.
Anyone had this? It is only slightly stiff, but on a decent fight it would be a PITA. A shim issue?
Thanks
Alan

Al, had similar issues with some lever drag reels before but for life of me I cant fully remember the cause, someone may correct me but I think you will find its a bearing issue. Most likely the bearing that is in the side plate housing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 4:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Craig - the bearings are pristine - clean and free as. But I am thinking you are thinking of something loading the bearing up - some sort of side thrust?
Makes sense. Thats the track I am thinking down. But not sure where to start. Will look at what shim arrangements are in there. Has to be a spacer issue.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 4:02pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'd almost guarantee it will be the right side plate pinion bearing. They just eventually get squashed because the whole spool shaft and drag system compresses against them when you push the drag lever forward. Only way around it is thrust bearings which a small number of reels have.

It will only be getting stiff under axial load so is kinda hard to replicate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 4:05pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Alan google 'TLD reel stiff to wind'.  There are a number of posts on different forums where people describe the same problem as you are experiencing.  Unfortunately there are a number of suggestions with respect to the solution, good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 4:07pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan,
Contact swordfish Steve.

I service all my reels.
Including all my vintage.

Issues I have had in the past is incorrect reassembly.
Spools have distorted under load and are rubbing.
Bearings mis seated or worn.

That all I have to offer.
Which is why I use Steve, his head is in the game daily.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 4:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There were a couple of posts hidden there from Rozboon & Fish addict. I dont know what happened there so I have unhidden them
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 5:28pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

I'd almost guarantee it will be the right side plate pinion bearing. They just eventually get squashed because the whole spool shaft and drag system compresses against them when you push the drag lever forward. Only way around it is thrust bearings which a small number of reels have.

It will only be getting stiff under axial load so is kinda hard to replicate.

Al, I think Rozboon is correct the pinion bearing is what I was trying to recall.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:08pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smudge,
Don't need to reply here.
But what happened to be hidden.

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:09pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rozboon seems on the right track.
M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:53pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys - I will pursue.
I did do a 'TLD stiff to wind' search. Just not on the forum. Used Google. Didn't help much - but I will follow these leads.
Yes Mat - I could send to Steve. I have bought plenty off him - about 7 game reels and a few rods. Just that I like to do my own stuff if I can. If it beats me, it will go to Steve.
Thanks All.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:22pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was hoping to post some progress. Been waiting for parts. Now replaced pinion bearings and drag washer and a spring. Still same problem. Reconfigured the tension washers. No difference. Could/may send to Steve.  just not sure how much a TLD 30 is worth these days. Spent about $100 in parts so far.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:46pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The standard retail is $339, so you decide mate.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 3:34pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK - taken about 5 weeks - but success. Stop/start and wrong bits sent (twice).
I did it in stages - rather than throw a whole bunch of new bits. Trying to find where the issue was.
Started with the pinion bearings, as originally suggested. Nope.
Ordered new drag washer bits. Nope.
Finally replaced the large bearing by the handle. Bingo.
So I am guessing it is accumulated wear in the bearings - side thrust. Basically my suggestion would be to replace all 3 bearings. Prob around $60. I don't feel bad spending a bit of money on it and new drag system.  Had it about 20+ yrs at a guess. Don't remember replacing anything previously. Got it 2nd hand and it is the 90s version.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 12:19pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by metuljnicsn metuljnicsn wrote:

Al, had similar issues with some lever drag reels before but for life of me I cant fully remember the cause, someone may correct me but I think you will find its a bearing issue. Most likely the bearing that is in the side plate housing.
Well well , a Bot that quotes .
Word for word Tzers post above .
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 2:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Originally posted by metuljnicsn metuljnicsn wrote:

Well well , a Bot that quotes .
Word for word Tzers post above .

I saw that this morning Skoti, and thought it was a dodgy member profile. Well spotted. And he's just been fried
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 3:09am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I saw that this morning Skoti, and thought it was a dodgy member profile. Well spotted. And he's just been fried
Nice , hope ya knee'd him in the nutz on the way out !
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .