Security cameras

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Security cameras
    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:52am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looking at installing a few of these around the place.

Like the simplicity of wireless and have been comparing Eufy and Arlo.

Eufy has some nice features and great battery life from all accounts. However battery is not replaceable so when it dies, so does the camera. That pretty much rules it out for me I think.

Anyone had any experience with Arlo or another brand I should be looking at?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:23am
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How did you get on with this project, Dagwood ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 10:40am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Still as confused as ever I'm afraid. So many conflicting reviews out there..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 11:07am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fish 4T Fish 4T wrote:

To add more confusion to your decision.
I used to have wireless (Swann) cams, few years ago but end up replacing them all with wired.
wireless cam seems convenience at first but when I actually need them, they were dead (no battery!?).

I'm starting to think that way to be honest. And placement is everything. Seems an elevated camera will simply provide a recording of a scumbag wearing a hoodie stealing your stuff to torture yourself with...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 1:15pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Dagwood Dagwood wrote:

Originally posted by Fish 4T Fish 4T wrote:

To add more confusion to your decision.
I used to have wireless (Swann) cams, few years ago but end up replacing them all with wired.
wireless cam seems convenience at first but when I actually need them, they were dead (no battery!?).

I'm starting to think that way to be honest. And placement is everything. Seems an elevated camera will simply provide a recording of a scumbag wearing a hoodie stealing your stuff to torture yourself with...
 Yes, trouble with batteries for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 2:01pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hardwired also required backup, half brain ****s will cut the power to your house. Have a look at PTZ, its so much funnn. 
Have cctv for the last eighteen years, only my neighbours benefited from it LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 2:35pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I bought a 2nd hand cheap CCTV and it's great in the day time. It doesn't really work well enough at night due to the low light levels but hey it was $100 Big smile. A decent system will perform way better. Whatever you do you need to be able to clean the cobwebs of the cameras regularly because house spiders love to build webs on them. A spray with Rip Cord should fix that.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 2:40pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big dog with deep bark,is all thats required or maybe I can let wife loose in your backyard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 3:27pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Installed cctv eighteen years ago, hardwired. wife & myself have travel lots, one 2 three mounts trips at time, house unoccupied for long period. Decided to install cctv at home. It's hardwired. Most fun is PTZ remote waving, manual control, 32x optical zoom 55x digital zoom, 24frames/sec 24/7 1080p 40 days 5 cameras recording. upgraded records in 4K night vision, heat sensor, motion sensor, facial structure recognition, 111 intruder alert, waving, ping from any place in the world with three sec delay, up- loaded to cloud with 18TB back-up. Now we at home all the time. Don't even look-it. 
Btw. the new cameras night vision is no diffrent from day light vision, slight brown pigment in night the image. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 9:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We installed around 18/20yrs ago as well.
 Went with Geovision Card in the computer.
Did not realise just how top end it was at the time and still dont use lot functions...
Would do so again.
 As to hard wire and wireless, geovison supports both had both.. no end troule with wireless, hard wire way to go...And  a APC UPS system for power cuts etc.
Remote monitoring app IP Cam Veiwer Pro

When set up was told to think about best ID of a person, rather than just see someone at the door or boat.
Could not afford the expensive auto follow/ zoom cameras
So advice was get the right focal length camera for the distance (fixed zoom) .. ie up the drive was a 12mm... covering front and back 6mm and the boat 8mm

We also use it in nesting boxes to monitor/ record breeding kakariki parrots.

Come hand on several occasions over the yrs.. 1st was a courier who reconed dropped off a parcel and no one home...That was interesting, didnt tell them we had cctv.. when they got a bit 'resistant' then sent coverage of times and stuff... guy didnt even come down the bottom of the long driveway.
Then guy down the road got broken into, collection of watches and stuff.  We caught a group ppl casing around that time our place but think saw the cctv signs, then going to neighbours.. Police sorted as knew who the where.
Had a attempted break in.. same maybe cant read signs or see red glow of cameras at night ?
 And another guy broken into the big horn taking the reversing screen. same

Keep in mind these are 'turn of the century basic $180/ $200 cameras

Like RC above, lots functions.. can count for instance ppl going in or out of a lift or door... number plate recognition..then hook upto electric gates...same with face recognition.. If had cameras that move , would follow a selected item , even from camera to camera.
Auto notifications...
Open a few ports on the router and the IP Cam Veiwer Pro app meant can do anything one couple on the computer from anywhere in the world.

Also even thi the Geovision computer card is around 20yrs old, its still current and its just the firmware thats been updated.

4 cameras, cabling, power packs to run cameras, gevision card, and a dedicated hard drive (not needed) to capture to, plus a remote hard drive for backup came to around $1200 to 1300 back then.

The std 3mm camera on basic set ups are only good for close up places directly above a cash register, any further and cover too wide an area to have reference to any useful ID info.

Thing would have changes in hardware and cameras over that time, but the basics.. position  and focal length (zoom) remain the same.

PS Some brand cameras can dismantle easy and change the inside lens to swap fixed focal lengths
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 2:08pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

???  no
 And another guy broken into the big horn taking the reversing screen
 The actual film part we can see him break in , climb out and there are better pics as well

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twosix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 5:30pm
Twosix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use the Arlo at home - great piece of kit and does all that I need. I can talk to the dogs - keep an eye on the boat and watch the teenages nicking my beer. charge them every 3 months so IMO work great.

looked the Eufy as well but settled on Arlo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 1:47pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ended up with a Swann hardwired kit. Still working through the settings etc but pretty intuitive to set up.

The first intruder they've picked up is the neighbour's cat backing up and spraying the base of the BBQ at 0415 on Sunday morning...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 6:57pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dagwood,hope the next image is the cat leaping as a bb pellet hits its rear..
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic