Battery recommendations

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery recommendations
    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:22am
Slyde View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Over the past 5 years I have twice replaced my AGM dual battery setup with Motobatt yellow batteries. The first set failed to hold a charge after a couple of years and the most recent set have now crapped out after being replaced in October 2019. They have been religiously kept on a CTEK charger the whole time. When I was unable to start a week ago I did a full recondition charge on both batteries and once again today’s fishing has been skunked by stuffed batteries. I will try and get them replaced under warranty if that applies after 15 months but I can’t say I am very keen to revisit this brand . Cost me over $500 last time. I would have expected at least a 5 year  cycle for AGMs. What are you guys recommending as reliable batteries??
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 10:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Long shot..
 Not all chargers are equal..
 Not saying better or worse , rather are you 100% sure the charge sequence and total charge is matched to your battery type?
I have 2 main chargers for larger batteries of different types and 2 different modules for the solar trickle/ maintenance.

Just a thought, espec you have same thing happening over several yrs and the charger is the common denominator (????)

2nd thought..similar are the batteries the correct type for the 'ski charging system?

The wrong charge/ voltage  will either over charge, or not fully charged, both of these are going to shorten battery life dramatically.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 5:46pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

AGMs require really high charge voltage to charge properly. When I was messing around with them I would routinely charge at 16v or so. They really need about 14.8v at a minimum especially if you're cycling them; most alternators and chargers only do about 14.4v tops unless they have a specific AGM mode - which most, but not all, CTEKs should have?

I'd consider a non-AGM battery this time around, although they all have their own drawbacks, and getting one in a small form-factor may be tricky.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 8:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have just brought a workshop AGM jumper battery..
 Looking down thru the instruction manual its very much like what Roz says above.
 They have a high Voltage but very slow charge rate around 14.8 with a maintenance rate and lower float rate.
 They are very -ve sensitive to faster charging and low volt charged.

Like Roz above.
 Check the specs of your charger and the engine charge specs, then match the battery type to the engine.