Bait Junkie SBs

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bait Junkie SBs
    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:30pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been to a few tackle shops around Auckland looking for some Zman curly tails but stocks are looking very low around the traps.

Brought some Bait Junkie 4in grubs in motor oil for a try. Has anyone had much luck with these SBs

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:00pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did you get the Hush Hush sauce?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 6:32am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What’s the hush hush sauce
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hunt@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 8:06am
Hunt@ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Secret sauce...I’ve tried the BJ’s and had a bit of luck on the pink/blue coloured jerkshads. Forget the name now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:48am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd seen promo vids about Daiwa's SBs online before they arrived here and they certainly look good - with good results in testing both in Australia and here, including nice snapper. This vid is worth watching, not a specific promo.

Obviously the promo ones put out by Daiwa have to be taken with a grain of salt as there's no indication of when they weren't catching...

Being a lure "junkie" I bought some of the 7" and 5" jerk shads in pink/glow and their equivalent of Smoky Shad (silver/glow). So far have nailed some monster kahawai on the 7" pink/glow out of deep water near Kawau. On the retrieve, just as they came into view from down below. The side to side action at the thin waist is very, very good at a certain speed.
And they appear reasonably durable. Haven't had a chance to give them a proper go since.

The boys at OA are obviously a bit concerned about the competition, and have had a few veiled cracks on social at Daiwa for "copying" Z Mans, without naming the company. But Daiwa's production team, which would have plenty of funding, seems to have got it pretty right with the stretchyness and the buoyancy of the Junkies.

So i'd have every confidence they'll work in the grub profile, maybe with some sauce to encourage fish to hold on. Cheaper than Z Man, per packet, too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:20pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys, I’m not a big user of sauce. I normally like to drop and drag curly tails around the peninsula.

The BJ grabs look good but I was after new penny one of my go to colours. I see they come in bruised banana which is another fav. If the weather plays ball Saturday morning I’ll give them a cast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing Direct in Silverdale appear to have the New Penny 4" - might pay to give them a call rather than drive there, just in case the online listing is out of date.
but I see what you mean - out of stock at Marine Deals and Smart Marine.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:39pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good man thanks for that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 10:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

No worries, good luck. 

With the Junkies, I'd follow the same protocols as with Z Man - don't mix with other brands, don't leave in the sun or they'll cook into bad shapes, and don't put loose in plastic containers or they'll warp them (e.g. Sistema). I assume their version of Elaztech is equally toxic to other plastics...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 5:44am
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Bait Junkie grubs work great, action is awesome 😎
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 8:06am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the action does look good and they look like they might grip onto the hook better as well.

I find the curly tails split easily at the nose when you use them on the light bulb jig heads which have the really thick grip rings on the hook to grip the Zman. Bit of a bugger because I’ve found the light bulbs are the best jig heads for dragging.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:03am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What's the advantage over Zman?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:47am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They work just like any other softies. The action is great but people having some issues with baits slipping off the hook during the bite and retrieve thereafter. So I do find myself retrieving the softbait more often just to check the presentation is right. Durability could be improved too in m2c
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 10:24am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

What's the advantage over Zman?

You've got an experienced guy in DV mentioning durability of Daiwas not being at Z Man level - not the first time I've heard that, though I haven't had enough use to draw my own conclusion.

I'd say the main difference in the jerk shad profile of the Daiwas is that 'hinge' which allows amazing movement - particularly in the 7". You have to hit the sweet spot in terms of retrieve pace, and realistically that's mainly going to be a factor with kahawai or kingies if we assume most bigger snapper take on the drop.

Supposedly the wider shape of the tail in the Daiwa jerk shads is also key to the movement.

I can't see how the Junkie grubs would be an improvement on either Gulp or Z Man in terms of action - the latter two are both amazing under water. Junkies have buoyancy like the Z Mans (and Catch Livies, if we're mentioning the wider market) which is something I look for when dragging. Gulp has the famed inbuilt scent which can be crucial when the fishing is tough, I reckon.

It'd be interesting to do a side by side drag challenge with a Junkie banana grub on one rod, and a Z Man banana grub on the other.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:35am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've decided to head back over to the Firth this weekend while we are still allowed out of Auckland, I'll grab some banana and give them and try and let you know.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 1:49pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've used the jerk shads a lot in both 5 & 7"

Have used most colours with great success but find myself drawn to the Banana Split colour quite often.

They are extremely supple and have a very very good action in the water but as mentioned above they aren't as durable a ZMans. They tear around the area where the hook penetrates through the back after a few fish and can slide down the hook on just about any jighead.

That being said though I still reach for them before the ZMans purely for the action and I don't add any scent or secret sauce to any lures I use. If the fishing is hot I will use ZMans happily as they can withstand being smashed over and over again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 6:43pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Brought some banana split grubs smart marine and I’ve fished both them and Zman on 2 different rods, not a good indication quite a stiff southerly blowing in the firth last couple of mornings.

The brown on the BJ banana split is quite a bit darker than the Zman and I did get more bits on the Zman.

I’ll keep fishing the BJ baits like the action.