Paid local lake/pond inland fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paid local lake/pond inland fishing.
    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 12:39pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All.
Have seen these events on the news where people pay to fish in seeded inland lakes/ponds and are almost guaranteed to catch something.
Pay a fee and all gear a bait supplied.
I believe you got to keep one.
I was looking at this as something to do with my 5 year old grandson.
Tried the ubiquitous Google search to no avail. 
Probably asking the wrong questions. 
Auckland area.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Graham
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 3:39pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The only days I have seen have been outside Auckland from the Ngonotaha hatchery and the national trout centre in Tongariro.

I hit "trout kids day' in google and it also popped up one in Taranaki.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 4:29pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a very unkiwi way to do things. Those kind of fisheries are pretty common in Europe and the USA. I've seen them in Asia and Queensland too. There was the prawn catching place in Taupo, not sure if it's still going. That's about it as far as I know. I'd like something along those lines as I have a 6 year old boy to entertain and the wharves are often too windy or busy. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 5:41pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The prawn farm is closed (lack of prawns).
But I have only heard of the ones posted above also - which are extremely popular.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 5:53pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The only one I know of is the Anatoki Salmon place in Nelson area where you can catch a farmed salmon and have it hot smoked/cooked for you in the onsite cafe

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 6:17pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about coarse fishing? Very little up here in Northland, but carp are supposed to be around in plague proportions further south. Could be a fun way to spend the afternoon with your grandson. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 6:26pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hamilton lake is full of coarse fish. Waikato river south of lake Kariparo has a plague of carp but not easy to catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 6:38pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pupuke has coarse fish too I think?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 6:40pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's interesting CC. I wonder why the carp are hard to catch? Usually, it's just a matter of getting them feeding on a suitable burley (bread, sweetcorn etc) and you're away. They can become hard to catch if they've been caught/released many times before, but that shouldn't be an issue in NZ. Lots of instructional videos on YouTube on how to catch carp from European countries. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 7:02pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about fishing for eels. Should be plenty around most creeks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 12:36pm
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Only one I know of is this https://hookwanaka.nz/

At least it keeps them off my rivers.Wink

"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 4:30pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep there's that one just outside Wanaka. Catch a salmon or two from a stocked pond, have it hot smoked or sashimi'd or whatever on site (no catch and release, you catch it you kill it), take it home and eat it. Delicious, and very fun for "non-angling" types. Fairly pricy outing though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 7:25pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

That's interesting CC. I wonder why the carp are hard to catch? Usually, it's just a matter of getting them feeding on a suitable burley (bread, sweetcorn etc) and you're away. They can become hard to catch if they've been caught/released many times before, but that shouldn't be an issue in NZ. Lots of instructional videos on YouTube on how to catch carp from European countries. 

Could be just me haven’t really had a serious attempt apart from chucking a dry fly at a couple which they just ignored. My brother gets a few with the bow though. On the other hand find perch and Rudd pretty easy with a small spinner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:43pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

All my grandkids caught trout when I took them fishing in Lake Pupuke on the North shore which also holds rudd, tench, perch & eels etc. Most methods of fishing are allowed so not that difficult to fin something that suits, such as some bread dough suspended under a
light float.

A licence to fish is required however for under 12yo (I think it is) they are free & available online, which in itself is a buzz for youngsters NB
licence is free but they MUST have one.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 10:58am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[/QUOTE] Could be just me haven’t really had a serious attempt apart from chucking a dry fly at a couple which they just ignored.  [/QUOTE]

Mate, give the dry fly a miss and change out to a slow sinking wooly worm or a Zulu type fly.

You need to get it right in front of their faces.
They tend to be tail up nose down a lot of the time mudding or if they are cruising it is easier.

There is an art to catching carp on fly, but keep at it -

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed