Mclay 651 or Extreme 645

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish n' giggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mclay 651 or Extreme 645
    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 3:49pm
Fish n' giggles View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm in a position to buy a 6.5m trailer boat this year. I've done some market research and I've narrowed down my choice to either Mclay 651 or Extreme 645 and fit a 150hp at the back. 

I'd love a Southern or White Pointer, but they are outside of my budget. 

The boat will mainly be used for family and fishing (40:60), and comfort is a key factor (to keep the Mrs happy). 

My understanding of the two boats are that Mclay is slightly longer but narrower, and Extreme on the other hand is slightly shorter but wider. 

I've also read that Mclay may be more nibble and rides softer compared to a Extreme, but less stable at rest compared to Extreme. 

So I take it that it may be a trade off between the two, but I'm not sure whether how big of a difference there are (in terms of ride and stability at rest).

Due to the crazy boat market at the moment, there are no demo boats in Auckland for me to view and compare (that I'm aware of), and obviously no sea trials available either.  

I'm keen to hear you guys thoughts on these two boats and your experiences with them. 

Thanks in advance. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 4:48pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

trust me, youll like the extreme better if it cuts up rough.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 5:56pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

150 hp is cutting it fine on the power level.
Everything is a compromise.
Does one have a cabin you can close off with a curtain, (Mrs using a toilet or a bucket)
The softer ride might be more pleasant to her .. they have bits that don't like harsh jarring.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twosix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:13pm
Twosix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i went through the same decision process when narrowing down boats (ended up selecting the Extreme 645GKas it ticked all the boxes I was looking).- appreciate the market is running hot but if you can get someone to give you a sea trial on both boats do it.

Message if you have any specific about the Extreme and I will answer as best I can
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:47pm
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Look into kingfisher boats.
I had a extreme 645 gameking and sold it.Very hard riding boat.They not good for harbour as harbour has lots of short chop.

I am getting a 7mtr kingfisher boat built which is same size as extreme 745 and still saving money.
U can contact me if u need more information
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Not been on a Kingfisher but they look the biz
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As dave mentions, 150 will be cutting it fine on the power level.
 Thu depends on end use.
 If ever thinking going wide, out into the gulf, barrier coro etc . place where things can chop up a bit a bit of distance to get home, or crossing bars, it will make it a very long, uncomfortable journey.
Both these boat  weigh in gross weight on water around the 1750 1850 mark.
So would be looking more towards the max hp ratings.
 If going on some reviews, be careful as often they are sometimes over propped propped even for a  empty boat,  .. get them home and you dont get the "comfort" performance or economy anywhere near the 'joe public' gear, ppl fuel etc .

I've also read that Mclay may be more nibble and rides softer compared to a Extreme, but less stable at rest compared to Extreme.

yes know a couple ppl who have had and have these hulls.. the "have had" was the mckay.
boats if around the min powered, the hulls will be harder to ride in than if powered to the top end of the hp range... and applies to the extreme.
Then the reality is budget... to be able to afford to go towards the top end of the hp range.. bit of a catch 22

Get upto the 1800 gross weight on water well powered is up around the 200 hp mark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 12:16pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seeing as you've decided on a McLay or an Extreme I won't bother suggesting you consider a Surtees - which of course would give you both the softer ride and stability at rest Wink - but I would suggest you try and stretch your budget to a 175 or 200. Most 6m boats (about 1500kg on the trailer) perform well with a 150, but a 6.5 is probably 20% heavier. You don't hear many boaties saying they wish they had gone for the smaller motor. 
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 2:43pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

neither of those two boats are at what i would consider the comfort end of the spectrum

ive been on the mclay with a 200 - which seemed about right for it

and have yet to have an enjoyable experience on an extreme - esp. when taking the price into consideration

a 150 would be absolute minimum on the mclay and i would caution against loading the boat up too much if rough weather is expected.

women/wives - unless they are keen fishos - will always prefer a f/glass boat - but i suspect that most guys who buy a fishing boat with allowances made for female folk later regret the compromise and in hindsight wouldve purchased a 100% fishing machine...
No disintegrations!