Whakatane river mouth to mussel farm off Opotiki

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craig.thesurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whakatane river mouth to mussel farm off Opotiki
    Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 9:04pm
craig.thesurfer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone know how far the mussel farm is from the Whakatane River mouth ? Didn't do well at all (no fish) at 40M off the rivermouth, so thinking of heading to the farm tomorrow. Any idea how far it is ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:00pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Craig,

I haven't checked the chartplotter but I would estimate around 12miles. I haven't been there for a while but you should do well there this time of year.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:00pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

About 14-15nm by my reckoning.

Edit: 10nm is probably more accurate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 12:03am
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Accident Prone Accident Prone wrote:

Hi Craig,

I haven't checked the chartplotter but I would estimate around 12miles. I haven't been there for a while but you should do well there this time of year.

Bang on with your estimate  AP. MY plotter has the Western edge of the farm at 12 miles from the entrance, and it goes for around 10 miles by all accounts and is still expanding. The furthest I have been in is around 5 miles.
I was out there on Wednesday last week, rather slow day after a good start with a Terakihi and Snapper off 1st 2 drops, then a bunch of small Kahawai. 
Plagued by the rats, with around 6-8 mooching around the boat attempting to grab the empty hook/small kahawai every time I brought a fish up. Moved 3 times for the same thing and ended up by losing 4 rigs before I spat the dummy and headed for home!

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 6:55pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Why don't you head out from Ohope instead? It would only be about 5 miles out from there. There's a charter guy who takes a boat out most days from Ohope.