lure skirt query

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lure skirt query
    Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 6:49pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have reposted this over from Briny Bar - so ignore that posting.
For those of you who rig your own lures.
This is my #1 lure. catches half the fish at a guess - take your pick as for species. So it has been re-rigged many times. I have run out of the supply of skirts I had and spent ages on the internet finding a source. These come from Hawaii.
However, now I have rigged for first time on these skirts I notice a significant waist behind the head.
Would you consider this an issue? the only thing I could do is shorten the skirt at the head end - but the waist leads right in to the skirt. The old style (same maker) had less of a waist. Wondering about blowback.
Can't say for sure that it tows any different - but lack of strikes on it make me wonder. But the fishing is tough right now anyway - doesn't matter too much what you chuck out there. So no definitive result yet.
Dunwurkn has suggested cutting the strips of the skirt back to the collar. Sounds reasonable. Is a double skirt.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 9:07pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Assume narrow point on skirt is the formed part of skirt, I would remove skirt and cut 30 to 40mm off end, (so on other side of narrow point) and refit.
Hope that makes sense.
Google search resulting lure also.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 9:35pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

Assume narrow point on skirt is the formed part of skirt, I would remove skirt and cut 30 to 40mm off end, (so on other side of narrow point) and refit.
Hope that makes sense.
Google search resulting lure also.

Yep, that's what I would do.  Remove more of the head of the skirt.

Later edit: if you didn't want to remove the skirt and your concern is the waist in the skirt perhaps you could insert a short section of suitably sized pvc pipe or tube into the waist section of the skirt acting as a 'packer' of sorts. 
Or just leave as is.  The waist bears some resemblance to the doorknob lures from days past.  Having said that I do recall the doorknob lures had a history of blowing out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 10:10am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You start cutting the lure it changes the weight.....

Personally, I'd leave it as is especially if it works.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 12:04pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK - here is the skirt in raw state and here is a pic of same lure head type with the old skirt fitted - no waist.
It looks like the head on the new skirts is smaller.
I could make the neck on the lure heads fractionally smaller - that would help (I make the heads).
Other than that, chop more off the skirt head - which I think is what Ynot is saying? That will make it a shorter skirt and rig. But not a lot of options here.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 12:39pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spot on Alan, trim skirt back. You might find lure swims better or not affected.
Other way to do it without cutting is fit skirt reversed, tie it and fold it over, old school way however this will make skirt twice thickness and will stick out and would require shoulders turned down to fit extra thickness.

Post up photo of your solution
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think I have a mismatch of sizes. These new skirts are listed as 7". The old one was 7 3/4".
I am guessing they did not have an 8" selection or I would have ordered those.
The problem is the bottom skirt is 7 3/4" (old stock).
So thinking possibly of reducing the neck size and folding the bottom skirt (it will be too loose if I just reduce the neck size). The neck size is designed for the 7 3/4" skirt.
Let you know - but it will be a few weeks before I can get to my gear to sort it.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 1:54pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are we perhaps over thinking this?  If the action of the lure isn't noticeably different why change it.  I'm sure the fish aren't going to be put off because the skirt has a waist. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 3:53pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well - that would be great. Hope you are right. I have a bag full of those skirts - at some cost :-)
The fishing is tough right now - so hard to say. Always wonder if something is not right.
I will ponder my options. Would feel more comfortable if I can get back closer to what I had before - which I know works well.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 4:18pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm no expert on fluidics but there must be a difference between the straight, original, set-up and the waisted new one.
You need to hire a chamber  with a current, like an wind chamber, and watch the difference in lure action to see any significant difference. 
My untutored guess is there isn't much difference. Run the current 'waisted' lure and a similar 'un-waisted' one for a couple of seasons and confirm your results.Wink
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 4:52pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think I will try and find a solution if I can. The old regime worked.
I don't think I have had a hit on this new model - but that may not mean much. But yes - I can run them side by side.
I did check the skirt suppliers website y/day - and they do the skirt in 7 and 9". My old one is 7 3/4. That explains why I went for the 7"
Alan
Legasea Legend member