Fishing the Waihou

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing the Waihou
    Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 8:06am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I popped into the Waihou on my way back from Rotorua after fishing the Ngongotaha in the morning.  Such a tough piece of water at times but so pleasant and good looking.  I saw a few big trout but they were off long before I got close.

Here's the video of the afternoon's fishing.  Hope you enjoy and as always hope you find some useful titbits of information in there as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 4:15pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

IMO it is a stream that deserves respect inasmuch as can be deceptively deep doe to the water being so clear. Also that attractive looking green weed contrasting with the blue tinged water & white sand is actually quite rope like so if it wraps around your legs could prove to be lethal.

Undoubtebly a beautiful stream but reckon in some situations could be rather unforgiving.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 6:54pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not the easiest river to fish. Many years ago I got my best conditioned fish using a red veltic casting upstream into a water chute and it got took before I'd started winding. 
5 lbs and fat as. Belly was fully of koura. Lots of small fish and few get big enough to devour a koura but when they do !!!! 
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 8:36pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, it is certainly deceptively swift and deeper than it looks. You need to be careful when wading it for sure. It's hard work as well wading upstream.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 7:02am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a visit there a couple of days ago - been 30 years since I fished the same stretch and it's changed. Sport was close to SH5. Since I last fished it, the stream has been fenced off and the banks have got really overgrown with vegetation and very difficult to reach.
Started with my spinning rod and wading upstream was too difficult with deep sports impossible to wade through. Had to keep getting out and fighting the tall cutty grass then re-entering . Found it just to problematic both difficult and dangerous.
A cocky let me drive down the cattle races to get close - cheers mate👍.
Did actually get my lure in some very promising runs but not a touch.
Still a visually stunning stream.
Went home early to give my vehicle a good hosing down.
Might try again and fish downstream of Whites Rd where the banks and easier to access.
Just shows that fencing off streams makes for less pollution but more difficult access!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 1:44pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is there any evidence that these fenced off stream riparian zones have actually been planted? Fencing is only the first step after that there should be, according to regional council requirements and supported by the arc villian in the loss of lowland waterways water quality Fonterra planting of these zones by natives AND the clearing of weeds in these areas if not the land owner is not meeting their requirements as part of the freshwater accord. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 4:32pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The area I fished had a marshy margin and that long grass as seen on the Jofly video.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 5:50pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

The area I fished had a marshy margin and that long grass as seen on the Jofly video.

I found out to my dismay that the long grass that looks so attractive adding a contrasting colour to the ice blue water & the brilliant white
sand is actually more like rope than grass.

It sways about in a very enticing manner but in places the current can
cause it to wrap around your legs & difficult to unwind it. Fortunately it was fairly shallow where I encountered that very unpleasant experience which left me wondering what would have been the outcome had both the water flow & depth been higher?

Not saying it would happen anywhere on the stream but pays to be aware that it can do in places where the current & terrain coincide.  
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:02pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

30 years ago as a spinner, I fished it heaps of times just from the bank, also downstream from the confluence of the Waihou and Waimakariri where a cockie used to let me drive through farm, right to the river. Often took family there for a picnic- great for the kids to catch a few small trout.