Balloon live bait rig for kings -no waste

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balloon live bait rig for kings -no waste
    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 5:44pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been thinking about this for a while, how to use balloons for live bait rigs for kings and stop the balloon from completely breaking away and polluting the ocean. Came up with a solution....

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 5:48am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good idea Scott......i used to use the red/white floats for piper ........put above the swivel by a fair old way and then when you brought the fish in....the float would hit the top guide and slide along the line and nearer to the swivel........that way you didnt need a huge long trace of 50 pound.....worked a treat.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:29pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Similar to last post that is an environmentally friendly  rig. 
As per Laidbackdood post some old ways were and are still good plus you keep your  float. Always liked big polystyrene cigar float for piper, used to holllow out a bit to fit heavier trace even below swivel,  even split em with a knife and then electro tape round trace, always got them back... ideal for piper or mack, or small kahawai.
Balloon rig as shown is a good idea for big kahawai no doubt.. for few still doing that, with whole big kahawai from a boat drifting  not sure you need balloon at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 5:48pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah shaneg balloon may not be needed if drifting in a boat....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobernator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 10:23pm
Goobernator View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Here's what I came up with a while ago.

Based off blackmagic balloon clip.
Made my own from an old detergent bottle.
Adjustable release pressure by cutting tighter or looser slot in plastic clip and or putting slot over thinner swivel snap or thicker solid ring.
I have lashed my leader to mainline knots with dental floss to streamline/taper and tie the tag down so the snap glides over them easier.
Seemed to work really well, plenty of takes, yet to land one yet.
Only concern is possible line burn from the snap to mainline.
Pre tied everything, makes setting up and changing fast and easy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 8:47pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks good - let me know how it goes on a king....