Just need some opinions on some gear

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just need some opinions on some gear
    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 8:52pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been a long time since I last logged into this forum so hope everyone has been keeping well. 

I haven't been surfcasting for 3 years nor have I fished since I sold my little Fish City FC390 boat. I stupidly sold most of my surfcasting gear just after lock down which was a 14ft veritas and a shimano ultegra (that reel was cursed never caught a bloody thing with it lol), now I am wanting to buy another 14ft surfcasting set and tossing up between buying another veritas but also considering the akios Hellrazor or tica galactic surf rods. the reel will either be the tica wanderer10000 long cast with bait feeder or a penn 7500LC even the akios R10 is under consideration. Any of you guys used the tica and akios rods and reels but also what are your opinions on the penn SSVI 7500LC. If I do decide to go back down the veritas route I am considering the veritas & Penn 7500LC combo.

Callsign: ZMU 4809
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:16am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Hunter, I'm just bumping this to give it some more attention
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:52am
Gold
Gold

No worries Smudge thanks mate

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:44pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome back.

There was a discussion on the thread that you might find useful re rods/reels not that long ago. Mostly about Abu and Okuma, but worth a look if you haven't seen it already.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 3:41pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Welcome back.

There was a discussion on the thread that you might find useful re rods/reels not that long ago. Mostly about Abu and Okuma, but worth a look if you haven't seen it already.

Yes I did read the thread you directed me to prior to posting this one but it didn't really answer my inquiry but I will say I have decided on the penn spinfisher 7500LC and also leaning heavily towards buying the tica kazumi galactic

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 5:51pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have heard good things about the Tica Kazumi, mate has fished it and I have had a handle of it - feels good, light and fairly powerful.https://static.cloudflareinsights.com/beacon.min.js" data-cf-beacon="{"rayId":"5fb26cb598d716bd","version":"2020.11.6","si":10}">
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:05pm
Gold
Gold

I ended up getting the okuma nanomatrix + to combo up with the penn 7500LC 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 5:49pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ah ok. The nanomatrix line is pretty good for it's price point I think....
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 8:32am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by LBGer LBGer wrote:

Ah ok. The nanomatrix line is pretty good for it's price point I think....

I don't know what it was about the tica Kazumi but the guy at the shop kept pointing me toward the daiwa, nanomatrix, the tica shizen and a kilwell 222. My original plan was to get an akios hellrazor from Lure me but I also wanted to go fishing last weekend so just went for what our local shops had.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote launchpad04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:25pm
launchpad04 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

@hunter708 - how are you finding the okuma nanomatrix? tossing up between that and a hellrazor myself. Really don't know what to go for, not much difference in cost, any idea which will get the greater distance? Any regrets with the nanomatrix, did you go for the low rider guides or standard?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 5:24pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by launchpad04 launchpad04 wrote:

@hunter708 - how are you finding the okuma nanomatrix? tossing up between that and a hellrazor myself. Really don't know what to go for, not much difference in cost, any idea which will get the greater distance? Any regrets with the nanomatrix, did you go for the low rider guides or standard?

No just standard guides it is the mad dog that has the low rider guides my regret buying the rod from top catch during the black friday sales where they would not budge on doing a combo deal and not going 30 meters down the road where there was 10% off store wide I could have got a better deal on the nanomatrix mad dog at fish city other than that the two times I have fished with it I was reasonably happy it casted ok but I am also out of practise with casting to get a nice load up of the rod happening.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote launchpad04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 8:22pm
launchpad04 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by hunter708 hunter708 wrote:

Originally posted by launchpad04 launchpad04 wrote:

No just standard guides it is the mad dog that has the low rider guides my regret buying the rod from top catch during the black friday sales where they would not budge on doing a combo deal and not going 30 meters down the road where there was 10% off store wide I could have got a better deal on the nanomatrix mad dog at fish city other than that the two times I have fished with it I was reasonably happy it casted ok but I am also out of practise with casting to get a nice load up of the rod happening.
https://static.cloudflareinsights.com/beacon.min.js" data-cf-beacon="{"rayId":"5ff533682acdeea6","version":"2020.11.6","si":10}">

Chur, ... I'm probably a bit like you out of practice and after looking at all my current gear I've realised it was all too light weight and need something with a bit more bones to it. Just want something that is nice and easy, goes a long way, I haven't seen the hellrazor in person but it looks nice online! Hard to know really as a comparions
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:35pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Length is not always best if want to trade off sensitivity in tip, There should be options which will throw longer and also allow heavier weight. Some stiff twelve footers  will throw further than a lot of these limp 13 to 13 sixes. Example is the old triton twelve ft shimano ( light blue blank rated 12  to 15 kg from memory) , were as cheap as chips and overhead capable rod.

15 foot rods in my day could throw a a mile, not literally,  but also keep line out off surf.. Different ball game though, and we use to drive round with them on roof rod racks on cars as were one piece rods . Mainly longer station wagons to accomodate length of rod. Lots of surf fishos have gone soft.
Still few longer station wagons around for sale second hand. Your classic surf mobiles. But bigger patrols and land cruisers will accomodate long rod. Get one made. I would,  if I wasn’t fishing from kayak or boat now days.
Still have a 14 6 alvey one piece, and a few others if choose to go for flick which now days is in walking distance.
If fishing from shore your rod and it’s castabilty and sensitivity with chosen weight/ bait is usually the most important variable your aware of. Only based on what I know, doing it quite a long time as in hours expended, mostly very productively.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 9:05am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Length is not always best if want to trade off sensitivity in tip, There should be options which will throw longer and also allow heavier weight. Some stiff twelve footers  will throw further than a lot of these limp 13 to 13 sixes. Example is the old triton twelve ft shimano ( light blue blank rated 12  to 15 kg from memory) , were as cheap as chips and overhead capable rod.

15 foot rods in my day could throw a a mile, not literally,  but also keep line out off surf.. Different ball game though, and we use to drive round with them on roof rod racks on cars as were one piece rods . Mainly longer station wagons to accomodate length of rod. Lots of surf fishos have gone soft.
Still few longer station wagons around for sale second hand. Your classic surf mobiles. But bigger patrols and land cruisers will accomodate long rod. Get one made. I would,  if I wasn’t fishing from kayak or boat now days.
Still have a 14 6 alvey one piece, and a few others if choose to go for flick which now days is in walking distance.
If fishing from shore your rod and it’s castabilty and sensitivity with chosen weight/ bait is usually the most important variable your aware of. Only based on what I know, doing it quite a long time as in hours expended, mostly very productively.

I was born in the 70's and raised in Papamoa so I am fully aware of what was used back in the day my first surfcaster that my grandfather gave me was a 1 piece cane rod after that I inherited a two piece split cane rod and mitchell reel from my great uncle. I would never own a fishing rod that has to be transported outside the safety of my vehicle with the opportunist thieves we have running around these days hell back in the 80's you could park at the pub for a beer with your surfcaster on the roof of the wagon and no one would even think about touching it.