Why Skagit?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tamaterau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:19pm
Tamaterau View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I’m no expert at all but when I lived down south I had a switch and true Spey rod.

Didn’t need them to fish the braided rivers but I just loved casting something a bit different. A 7 weight was probably more suited and more useful.

It was the sheer joy of rolling out a perfect cast and feeling the shooting line rip out.

Sometimes thats enough isn’t it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 8:37pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

As one who loves fly casting in all its modes I could not agree more with you,    Seeing a great cast flying towards the horizon is indeed uplifting even on a slow fishing day.     Casting is such an important part of fly fishing that anything that leave this out is just fishing with flies.     

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:30pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Have just returned from the Tongariro after 5 days of trailing the new Guideling ULS 3D heads     My latest aquisiton was the fastest sinking version S3/5/7 in 12 grams, which was a bit too fast sinking and hung up on snags even in fast water.     Yesterday I fished the whole day without a single overhead cast.     My biggest problem was preserving the anchor with a haul.    I fixed this with a 1m additonal tip and after that every cast sailed out almost the distance I could overhead cast.    It was just great to see and experience this with a single handed rod.    the best thing of all is that Sporting Life in Turangi has imported these heads and selling them for a reasonable $89.    My advise for most N Z river downstream streamer fishing is : 12,14,16gram depending on your rod.   The most useful sink rates are: S1/3/5,  S2/4/6, and S3/5/7 the last one for deep fast water.    They can be cast with just about every Spey technique and rod.     However., because they are only 6m it is best to either use a single hand or a double hand no longer than 11' .    Also only use mono shooting line.   No coated or braided shooting line as these have too much friction and restrict distance.     That is where Spey casting with sinking lines is going.

Cheers

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 12:30pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Here is a great post from Spey Pages anyone from the Skagit defence force should digest.  

Cheers 

Rainbow

Scandinavian Myths

Great posts.

This is a subject that interests me greatly. I take a long, hard look at the similarities and differences between Skagit and Scandi lines in Atlantic Salmon Magic. I also work closely with a prominent line manufacturer here in North America displaying an exceptionally strong presence in Skagit lines. We discuss this stuff a lot.

The vast majority of sales for Scandi lines in North America are floating heads (Airflo Scandi Compact, Rio AFS and Rio Steelhead Scandi) destined for summer steelhead fishing. A few of these lines make their way to the Canadian Maritimes (Quebec and New Brunswick mostly) for Atlantic salmon. These lines generally fish best with a 10-foot polyleader and 4 to 6 feet of level tippet OR a monofilament leader of around 15 feet. Loop head to running line and away you go.

The set-up described above, however, would be foreign to many Scandinavian salmon fishermen. Here a few thoughts:

1. The vast majority of Scandinavians I've fished with (with the exception of Henrik Mortensen) DO NOT use polyleaders. I'd say the most popular line for summer salmon in Norway is a Float/Sink 1 (F/S1) shooting head with monofilament leaders of varying lengths (depending on the height and clarity of the water). In my experience, polyleaders are o.k. with a full floating head when you're trying to prevent a fly from waking in the surface. If you need to get down much deeper, it's more efficient to switch to a different density shooting head and a monofilament leader.

2. Full-sinking Scandinavian shooting heads fish deeper than Skagit heads with a floating belly and typical lengths of T-14. Yes, you read that right. If I'm fishing hard shoulder water for big, early-season June salmon (if you're a west-coast fisherman, think Chinook-size salmon), a full-sinking Scandi shooting head like the Guideline 3D Sink2/Sink4/Sink6 slices through all the fast surface currents more effectively than a Skagit line with a floating belly.

It is physically possible to get a fly to the appropriate depth with a Skagit head, but to do so requires a lot of upstream mending and set-up time. Lots of upstream mending generally slows the swing, which is the opposite of what we want in most Atlantic salmon fishing. A snappy swing is good.

The recent trend in Intermediate Skagit lines (eliminating or reducing the floating belly) is much closer in concept to a full-sinking Scandinavian shooting head. Skagit lines with a floating belly have their place in Atlantic salmon fishing (fishing pots on the Kola Peninsula during the early season), but Pacific steelhead and Atlantic salmon often select different holding lies, requiring different lines and tactics.

Leader length is short with fast-sinking Scandinavian shooting heads (3 to 5 feet). As these heads are cut-to-length, I simply dial in more line for the anchor in the absence of a longer leader. Long leaders with ALL Scandi heads is a myth.

3. Full-sinking Scandi heads can chuck enormous flies, every bit as big as a weighted Intruder (and larger). I regularly fish unweighted Sunrays of 5-inch overall length on an Airflo Scandi Compact. Monster Templedogs with tungsten coneheads fly a long way on a 15-foot rod and 40- to 42-gram (617 to 648 grains) full-sinking Scandi shooting heads. The perception that Scandi lines are for small flies reflects the sale of floating shooting heads (primarily the Airflo Scandi Compact and the Rio Steelhead Scandi) to the west coast of the U.S. and Canada.

4. Most great Scandi-style rods are NOT fast. Ask Goran Andersson, Henrik Mortensen or Leif Stavmo. Personally, I look for a medium-fast rod with a progressive taper and a pronounced "sling-shot" effect. This action pulls sinking lines to the surface with greater ease (for me, anyway) than a true smoke pole, and is far more relaxing to fish for a full day.

The best Scandi-style rods I've cast and fished are select models within the families of rods by Burkheimer, Meiser, G. Loomis (the original GLX, particularly the 13- and 15-foot models), Sage (the entire VT2 series and the Z-Axis 7136-4), Loop, Guideline, and Zpey. Yes, the smoke poles cast great, but, I would submit (and it's a personal opinion) that the medium-fast rods FISH better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 2:55pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

If you have not yet tried one of these Guideling sinking shooting heads you are missing out big time.      Have a look at that cast with a ULS 3D S2/4/6 head.     Who needs anything else?    https://youtu.be/VQYgniDRcsk

Cheers

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 11:19am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Casting Guideline Uls 3D 12 gram S3/5/7 sinking shooting heads with my 9' #6 rod.     Flies like a rocket and sinks like a stone     Who needs Skagit or a heavy double hander??????
Page  <12